Christmas Eve in April?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So tomorrow is the big day!

After 12 years of waiting, the childhood dream will become a reality and Gary Almond will be playing the role of Santa Claus ;)

Tonight will most likely be a sleepless night... I am taking off work tomorrow(calling in sick) so that I have the whole day to drive her!

I know I have seen posts in the past regarding what you should and shouldn't do being a first timer in a Viper so it would be very helpful if everyone can post any info at all that could give me some good tips for driving a Viper.

I am aware of the extreme amount of torque the Viper has; so I remember reading something in regards that it's a bad idea to SLAM ON THE GAS or in other words...accelerate quickly when your in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear UNLESS the car is pointed straight or else the car will do a 360.. :crazy2:

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated.. the more the better :2tu:

THANK YOU! :)

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy!
Take it easy and slow. Think smooth, whether it is acceleration or throttle lift, abrupt actions can lead to violent reactions. A day at the track with an instructor is best thing you can do you and your car.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just take it easy. dont get too cocky thinking "its just another manual shift car". it is, and it isnt. it is an entirely different beast.

learn to hit steep slopes at a 45 degree angle.

oh and BTW - like it or not, you are about to become the life of the party!

CONGRATS!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took my Mom with me for the first drive when mine came 2 years ago. She won't ride in it now unless she doubles up on the Depends. Didn't spin it but I did realize the first time I hit 2nd with some force and the back end started dancing back and forth that I was in for a new learning experience.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasted no time in seeing how easy it was to get the car sideways after I got mine. Doing stupid stuff in your new car should be spontaneous, not scheduled for when you are ready.

Your biggest friend will be the ability to read the pavement. On new asphalt or concrete surfaces I rarely have traction issues, but on old polished asphalt I do slip upward of 100 mph. Ambient temperature and moisture should always be observed. Not much cold weather here in Texas but it can be humid in the early AM. And that moisture affects traction.

Wear your seatbelt and trust the airbag.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics a must...enjoy the car first, then let us know what you think!!! GO EASY!!! You'll find your 'niche' after lots of time in the Viper, but for now, TAKE 'ER EASY!!!!! That rear can come around on ya quicker than you can say 'DRAT' (lol)....ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!! (And, remember to upgrade yourself to Viper Owner with your VIN# to the moderators: citysnake/kcobean/lee00blacksilver/y2k5srt!) ~juli
**Your roads will still be cold I imagine, as ours are...makes the world of difference in grip, don't be surprised if you start out and you wheel hop a bit....**

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations! Enjoy your new toy!
Take it easy and slow. Think smooth, whether it is acceleration or throttle lift, abrupt actions can lead to violent reactions. A day at the track with an instructor is best thing you can do you and your car.

Thanks man, I should find a track to go too eventually so I can get a better feel for things..

By the way I'm buying the exact car you have..

1996 B&W GTS :)
only 9181 miles so I'm pumped!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tip #1: Don't call in sick and then drive a Viper around all day and not expect to be seen :omg::D Took me about 3 hours to almost do a 360 in mine...so, tip #2: have a clean pair of underwear in the trunk. Congrats and be safe!!

haha thanks Chad,

I live in Haverhill and work in Waltham... it's almost an hour commute everyday so I doubt anyone will see me from work ;)

Although one of the head guys does live about 5 minutes away from me and tends to work from home a lot!! :omg:

However, he is the only one who lives close to me and I know I will be fine!

But thank you everyone for the congrats and I will post pics later today!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you finally are getting it delivered. I'm surprised you took so long to get it shipped. Have fun and be careful.

Next comes the power mods...

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Run flats are a real scary thing to drive on! Be totally aware that you can get sideways VERY easily! Little by little, I always tell new owners. Respect the car, and it will respect you. As said before, watch pavement surfaces, and especially when damp (IE: am's) and always look where you want the car to go! I know that sounds crazy, but you'll learn that in driving school! Speaking of driving school.......I highly recommend it!! Good luck, be safe, and have a ball......you'll never be the same!

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you finally are getting it delivered. I'm surprised you took so long to get it shipped. Have fun and be careful.

Next comes the power mods...

Yup, I got it delivered yesterday around 12:00! It was a great experience. I'll never forget how I felt once Gary dropped the door to his trailor and I saw it for the first time. It was just amazing knowing it was mine!

I only put about 80miles on it yesterday though; but I plan on putting a lot more.

I want to thank you again Tom. You played a huge role in me buying this car from the start! :2tu:

And yes it took a little longer then I wanted too unfortunately; but Gary was a little held up with some other cars that he had to take care of so I thought it was in my best interest to wait for him..

Run flats are a real scary thing to drive on! Be totally aware that you can get sideways VERY easily! Little by little, I always tell new owners. Respect the car, and it will respect you. As said before, watch pavement surfaces, and especially when damp (IE: am's) and always look where you want the car to go! I know that sounds crazy, but you'll learn that in driving school! Speaking of driving school.......I highly recommend it!! Good luck, be safe, and have a ball......you'll never be the same!

Yea man I am going to be careful, thanks for the tips! I found it extremely easy to drive though. I didn't have any problems at all yesterday with it. There might have been only one or two times I felt the backend move around but I'm not really looking to track this thing or race it. Most likely I'm going to baby it but I'm sure I will have my fun once in awhile but at the moment I plan to just take it easy and enjoy it for what it truly is. I'm at work right now and I can only feel that the day is gonna go by slow.. I just wanna get out of here and go home and drive my new car! ;)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck with it. :2tu:
You took your time, and got a dream car now.
I've had my red GTS 4 years now, and it's still as much fun to drive as it was the first day. Something about Viper's, the fun never wears off.
Glad you are driving it, not saving it for the next guy.

OP
OP
C

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and good luck with it. :2tu:
You took your time, and got a dream car now.
I've had my red GTS 4 years now, and it's still as much fun to drive as it was the first day. Something about Viper's, the fun never wears off.
Glad you are driving it, not saving it for the next guy.

Thanks man, yup- you were right from the start when you told me to gear away from that other one in North Hampton with all the history; along with another one down in Florida. The waiting time was long; but well worth it! :2tu:

I will definitely be driving this as much as I can when the weather is nice. I had so much fun driving it yesterday though- it's just an unbelievable experience and will never get old.. I really hope the day flys by today haha- I just wanna go home and drive it...anyways I bought this car to DRIVE.. not to keep it in my garage so don't worry this car won't be saved for anyone else :)

V

Venomiss

:newbie::needpics:

It's not really worthless...but we want to see some of your car!!!:eater:

Congratulations on your Viper delivery!

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it's a bad idea to SLAM ON THE GAS or in other words...accelerate quickly when your in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear UNLESS the car is pointed straight
Even then be careful. Also, look out for parking stalls, speed bumps, steep driveways, etc, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno