chrysler buy outs

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate speculating, but it sounds like a bad thing that Chrysler is trying to buy out CAAP employees.

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate speculating, but it sounds like a bad thing that Chrysler is trying to buy out CAAP employees.

Here's my not even semi-informed counter speculation based on what I've read about the UAW contract and from the tour of CAAP. The CAAP employees are on average much longer term (higher cost) than rank and file at Chrysler. The guys we talked to had been there for a long time, all 10+ yrs and one since CAAP opened. And to get hired on at CAAP, they had to prove themselves for years at other plants.

Based on new UAW contract, the auto makers can buy out expensive employees and hire new workers at substantially less cost over the long run.

So maybe the new mgmt is doing nothing more than trimming costs, as you would expect them to do, and it has nothing to do with the future of Viper except to make it a more viable/profitable product line for years to come.

Maybe I don't know squat (OK, that's true) and I'm completely wrong. But until proven otherwise I'll stick with the glass being half full.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my not even semi-informed counter speculation based on what I've read about the UAW contract and from the tour of CAAP. The CAAP employees are on average much longer term (higher cost) than rank and file at Chrysler. The guys we talked to had been there for a long time, all 10+ yrs and one since CAAP opened. And to get hired on at CAAP, they had to prove themselves for years at other plants.

Based on new UAW contract, the auto makers can buy out expensive employees and hire new workers at substantially less cost over the long run.

So maybe the new mgmt is doing nothing more than trimming costs, as you would expect them to do, and it has nothing to do with the future of Viper except to make it a more viable/profitable product line for years to come.

Maybe I don't know squat (OK, that's true) and I'm completely wrong. But until proven otherwise I'll stick with the glass being half full.

I agree with you:2tu:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just one little tidbit is all that is needed to view this in a different light ---------------------this involves 11 Plants under the Chrysler Umbrella, not just CAAP.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And better yet, why offer the buyout if you were supposedly ending production and laying them off anyway? I don't think you would, so that seems to be a good thing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno