Clutch issues during longer drives

zombie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings to all. I picked up a fairly low mileage (66k kilometers / 41k miles) a month ago and over the first couple hundred miles I've had some intermittent problems with clutch engagement.

Originally the problem seemed to be that the hydraulic fluid in the clutch reservoir was black (and I mean black).
You must be registered for see images attach

I searched on here and saw people recommended to go to DOT4 for the higher boiling point, so I cleaned out the reservoir as best I could with a syringe and a clean rag and then added new fluid. First drive or two, everything seemed okay, but if I go for a drive longer than 20 or 30 minutes, by the end of the drive the clutch will sometimes not engage and/or the pedal will go pretty much right to the floor with no resistance, pumping the pedal seemed to build up pressure eventually. My car throws a LOT of heat so I'm not sure if it's getting too hot at the transmission or what.

I just used generic "mopar" compatible DOT4 fluid, but should I go with higher spec fluid or should I just bite the bullet and have the slave cylinder replaced?

Thanks for any tips or help you folks can provide.