Drilling Factory Brake Rotors

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking of having my stock rotors drilled to improve the looks. Has anyone done this? Any ideas if it would improve stopping performance or not and do you think it would affect the longevity or reliability?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking of having my stock rotors drilled to improve the looks. Has anyone done this? Any ideas if it would improve stopping performance or not and do you think it would affect the longevity or reliability?

Well, by drilling, you decrease the overall surface area. It is like making the pads smaller by the amount of area that is removed underneath their contact patch. I don't know whether it would be perceptible on the street.

The holes can cause a problem with longevity; but mainly on tracked cars which see very high rotor temperatures.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drilled stock Shelby rotors on a couple of my Shebly (Turbo) Chargers. Rememmber that they also have to be countersunk,not just drilled.

I felt a difference on the street. The pads won't last as long. I had no problems with them, but that was not racing driving.

On my Viper I bought 2 piece lightweight rotors and the fronts are slotted Roe Racing 14" since the drilled rotors have a tendency to heatcheck (OK on street).

Ted

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did the same thing, only driven on the street, no problems.

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It will not improve stopping performance or cooling. It will decrease the life of the brake rotor, and possibly the pads as well.

Reaction score
If you really want the cool looks I would just spend your time and money and change to the 2 piece drilled and have a real quality product in the end. I can help you get a great price on the Euroteck rotors if you want.

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why go through the hassel of getting them drilled? If you don't track the car, check out ebay there are all types for sale there. Do a little checking to find some good ones and just replace the stock ones.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
E Bay has its place but it is not going to be on my VIPER. Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drill your rotors stay away from the track. If you don't, you just might get to drill a wall too.

There's a lot of engineering that goes into a braking system and going at it with a drill will not improve them. They may look better but they won't work as well.

I bet I've seen at least 20 cars have rotor failures (at the track) after drilling them.

Just be careful what demands you put on your customized rotors.

One more thing. Make sure that every part of the pad sees a 'hole'. Otherwise the pads will wear unevenly. Also be careful where you drill with respect to the cooling vanes.

Greg

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics speak a thousand words Do Not do it ;)

Rotors_004.jpg

Rotors_009.jpg

You must be registered for see images

Slotted rotors are better and safer :) :2tu:

:uk:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first pics are EBC Rotors using Hawk pads!!! They were being used on a track day!

The last shot is of my old rotors 'Bayer eradi speed 2 pice rotors' I spoke to the company about the cracking, they recommend Slotted Rotors for track use, the slotted and drilled look is ok for street, but Personally I would go for the slotted :2tu:

Heres the link for more info about the first pics
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-g...new-record-cracking-rotors-2.html#post2626501

:uk:

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the last one is Eradi Speed which is made by Baer I had them on my 04 cobra never had a bit of problems like them look like.

OP
OP
S

SRT BEE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the thought guys thats why I posted. I will order a set so I think I will look into the Eurotech's or something else any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy