Ethanol Gas in a Viper

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I usually put nothing but Shell 93 octane in the beast. Last week I was running a bit low and said what the heck I'll put some Gate 93 octane. (Gate is just another large chain here in the south) So on the pump I notice a sticker: (contains 10% or less ethanol). Now Skeetachya warned me about this combination. He said his GTS doesn't like it at all, it makes it sputter and idle funny.

I tried it and for the first 80 or so miles, no difference I could tell. Then after driving for a while, I parked it at a restaurant for a little over an hour. Get back in and it's feeling a little funny. The idle doesn't sound quite right and I notice right away in first gear it feels sluggish. As the rmps climb, not much difference. Then all of a sudden it catches and takes off like hell. I nursed it for a while hoping it would warm back up. The problem didn't go away completely, but it did back off.

My question or concern, has anyone else experienced anything like this? Any thoughts from out masters...

:usa:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All California fuel has the same alcohol content as you've stated. The only thing I noticed years ago when they made the switch was a reduction in fuel economy.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Octane boosters do very little if anything. You may have gotten some bad gas. Maybe some water in it. With less than 10% alchohol it should have no effect other than fuel consumption.

Now if you're fuel system was converted for alchohol you could run E85 and take advantage of the 105 octane and pump up the boost! :headbang: