Factory Weight Reduction Options for '08 & beyond

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was debating with some of my favorite Vette buddies this weekend. We all have 500+ RWHP cars. One of the things we all agreed on was that tire sizes aren't keeping up with the HP march. Our cars are largely equal on the street, where we are traction limited to 100MPH,. Both the '08 Viper and '08 Vette will largely be traction limited as well.

The Gen1 lead the pack on wide tires with 335's in '92. 15 years later, we're only at 355's. HP has increased 50%. Tires can only get so wide. Going to AWD helps a lot for 1/4 mile, but adds a lot of weight for road racing.

So, the Z06 has an inherent advantage being 10% lighter than the Viper. They get there by having an 'option' package over the base Vette that lowers a lot of weight. Some of the C5's I see at the track are running 335's on all 4 corners.

What do you think it would take to get Dodge to offer a package, like the ACR, that sheds some lbs from the Viper? More HP is nice for a datasheet, but is starting to make less and less of a real world difference.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was debating with some of my favorite Vette buddies this weekend. We all have 500+ RWHP cars. One of the things we all agreed on was that tire sizes aren't keeping up with the HP march. Our cars are largely equal on the street, where we are traction limited to 100MPH,. Both the '08 Viper and '08 Vette will largely be traction limited as well.

The Gen1 lead the pack on wide tires with 335's in '92. 15 years later, we're only at 355's. HP has increased 50%. Tires can only get so wide. Going to AWD helps a lot for 1/4 mile, but adds a lot of weight for road racing.

So, the Z06 has an inherent advantage being 10% lighter than the Viper. They get there by having an 'option' package over the base Vette that lowers a lot of weight. Some of the C5's I see at the track are running 335's on all 4 corners.

What do you think it would take to get Dodge to offer a package, like the ACR, that sheds some lbs from the Viper? More HP is nice for a datasheet, but is starting to make less and less of a real world difference.

A lot of the weight savings of the ACR can be retrofitted to any 2003-2008 Viper: Sidewinder rims, Stoptech two-piece rotors and the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. I believe these parts alone will cut about 60 lbs from the weight of the car.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the weight savings of the ACR can be retrofitted to any 2003-2008 Viper: Sidewinder rims, Stoptech two-piece rotors and the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires. I believe these parts alone will cut about 60 lbs from the weight of the car.

How much does a tank of gas weight in at?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Viper seats are heavy. Windshield washer fluid, and wiper motors also add weight. few of us ever drive our cars in the rain. some people remove those.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock Viper seats are heavy. Windshield washer fluid, and wiper motors also add weight. few of us ever drive our cars in the rain. some people remove those.

Here in Texas if the car has a windshield it has to have working wipers. You would have to put them back on for your annual sticker.

That of course does not apply to states that don't have safety inspections or cars that are trailered to a track.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Texas if the car has a windshield it has to have working wipers. You would have to put them back on for your annual sticker.

That of course does not apply to states that don't have safety inspections or cars that are trailered to a track.

Here in Florida, if the vehicle will move down the road under its own power, than it is legal to drive.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll vote for the seats - removing Gen 1 seats and tracks saved ~45 lbs and the racing aluminum shell seats are extremely comfortable.

Batteries are another - no need for a large one if all starting is summer weather. 8 lbs.

For track only - remove all the rollup seat belt parts if you only use your 5- or 6-point anyway.

Lighter flywheel - lots of posts and arguments about what it does for performance but they will always be 20 lbs lighter. Add the smaller twin disc clutch and double that.

There you go, a quick 100 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Copperhd