Gen 1 Muffler Options

red900

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What options besides Borla's would be an easy sound improvement. Does Flowmaster or any other reputable exhaust company make something that would fit in with little modification???

Thanks
1995 Viper

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe Racing...I have the Roe High Flo Cats and Roe Exhaust....It will also seriously reduce the cabin heat and the side exhauast/sill heat. However it is VERY loud......Good luck.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's also the cheap way: Glass Packs. Seems to work for a lot of people here including myself.

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Dynomax Bullit 23" long mufflers and are currently using Walker chambered mufflers (same as -67 side pipe Corvettes, but with 3" diameter).
You can buy both from Summit Racing.
I know some are happy with Spintech mufflers too, similar than flowmaster.

Both are VERY load. Get earplugs if you are running without cats.
If you have the cats, just hacksaw the mufflers off, it wount be that loud.
That was my "first" mod when I bought my GEN 1. Then the smooth tubes and filters.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both are VERY load. Get earplugs if you are running without cats.
If you have the cats, just hacksaw the mufflers off, it wount be that loud.
That was my "first" mod when I bought my GEN 1.

DITTO! :2tu: :nana:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a Balenger muffler kit that cost about $500.
It was hard to install, had to bend up the brackets from rod in the kit, and I probably could have done the same thing for less than half the price by using some kind of glass packs.

My car is nice and loud. Not too much, just loud.

randy lindberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My sounds awesome (and I'm pretty cheap!)

1. Cut off muffer and cat assembly at end of cat.
2. Reducer from 2-1/2" to 3" (you may want to just stay with 2-1/2, but I went up to 3" in case I want to get headers someday).
3. In place of cat used Moroso Spiralflow muffler and inserted Dynatech Cones in the Spiralflow. I think this really helped the drone around 2500 rpm. They're kind've pricey, but did a great job.
4. Put a piece of 3" tubing about 6" long between the spiralflow and a Dynomax Race Bullet (glasspack) muffler.
5. I had to fabricate a new hanger setup and if you want to go with 3" I can give you more info. If you stay with 2-1/2 you should be able to use the existing hanger.
6. Used 3" turnouts for tips. I wanted chrome but couldn't find any. If anyone knows where to get 'em please let me know!

If you stay with 2-1/2" you can use your original tips.

I put everything together with clamps, but if you're really picky about weight you can have it welded.

Idle is about perfect, and whem you get on the throttle it sounds like you're in a Viper. It was too loud for me with just the Dynomax Bullets, but the Spiralflows and Vortex Cone Inserts softened it just enough. I Just did a 500 mile trip to end the summer and am totally satisfied. Loud where it needs to be, but you can hold a conversation at highway speeds with the top off.

Good Luck! Hope this helps.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch....k=KeywordSearch

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

TheMeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished installing Belanger headers, Moroso's Spiral Max mufflers in place of the cat's, and glass packs in place of the factory mufflers. I think the total cost was ~$140 shipped. I am putting on AB's wires and finishing up the VEC1 wiring tonight. I haven't started it up yet but will give feedback after tonight if all goes well.
I also saw the Dynatech Cones at Summit. If my new set up is too loud or has a drone to it, I might add these.

Randy, do you have any way of posting a sound clip of your car?

Ray.

randy lindberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never tried posting any sound clips, but I'll se what I can do. The sound at idle didn't change with the vortex cones, but it took a lot of the drone away between say 2000 and 3500 rpm. There still is some drone, but it seems much better to me.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I might be in the minority here, but when i removed my cats we actually lost power. I imagine the motor liked some back pressure. We took care of this by removing the mufflers & installing Saab Racing Turbo CAts.

OP
OP
R

red900

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the ideas. I cant wait to get started. You guys are awesome.