GPS Lap timers

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody ever compare traqmate vs. g2xtreme gps lap timers?

Looking for a system for upcoming season. From what I've seen I'm leaning toward the latter, but I've seen a ton of forums that go back and forth between the two.

Anybody looking to try and put a group buy together?

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know much about either of the systems. You might want to go to Main Page - Trackpedia forums for more info. A lot more track guys there. :2tu: I have been tracking my car for three years now and can't find another site with more knowlegable track day guys.

I have thought about the GPS Lap timers a few times but I have seen people have found it difficult getting the most out of the Lap timer. Reading the data properly and deciding where you're problems are seem to be a skill that many just don't have.

I would say it Definatly should not be your first purchace if your a novice. I feel if your an absoulte expert and want to study the system you might get an extra couple of 10ths out of it. But that's just my opinion. :2tu:

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the traqmate for around 3 years & its a very easy to use system. I like the fact that you dont need an engineering degree to use it. You can lay multiple laps on top of each other & put others laps on top of yours too. You can disect the lap just by clicking the cursor anywhere on the lap. You pull the dash out & plug it into your computer & download. the display on the computer is cool showing the friction circle, G's MPH ect. You can also wire other sensors like tach, afr & other sensors into it for more data, but I never have.

Now what I dont like about it. The dash display is way way too small for my almost 50 yo vision. If i dont have my reading specs on, I cant program it off the incar display. A real pain in the a$p, when I talk to the guys who invented it, they dont seem to care( I raced with them for years) , funny because most guys who drop 900 ++$ on a toy tend to be uhm aging. I find this a problem with a lot of IT types. The lap times are viewable aroud the same size as a hot lap display but with less contrast.
The competition has caught up with them with the GPS & ease of use, but with much better displays. Jegs had a sale on the gpx last week for under 800. I sold mine with my race car & Im going to try that out next, it has MPH & other stuff on a much larger display.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been playing with the software, and love the traqmate software, but I really like the g2extreme display much better. It looks like it would be much easier to read. However when I have tried use the g2x software, I have been completely baffled. It seems to be very user unfriendly.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where are you trying it on their site? i havent used it yet but i know guys who love it. there is a lot o info on the spec miata .com site. With those little cars, you need all the help you can get.

Another benifit of the data was detecting engine issues, a few time I thought I had a crappy race , but when I analized the race data compared to qualifing, noticing a 4mph difference in top end with identicle corner exit speeds(easy to do with a click of the cursur) ended up being a sensor gone, bad, saving thousands in the long run. I would have otherwise just thought I had a bad day isntead of real problem doomed to repeat itself.

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can get a 10% discount on the traqmate

based upon my experience playing with the software of both the G2x and the traqmate, I think you will be getting a call from me very soon. What took me two hours to look at on the g2x software, I was able to accomplish in 20 minutes on the traqmate software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno