GTS dash panel removal

ToddGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this site and I just traded my 03 Z06 to a 97 GTS. I love it!!!! The dash has some scratches on it and I want to put a new one in. How hard is the removal and installation of this part. I would rather not let the dealer to this if I can easily do it myself. I know that people have removed and painted their dashes and I'm considering this as well.

Thanks in advance.

-Todd

DChan415

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this site and I just traded my 03 Z06 to a 97 GTS. I love it!!!! The dash has some scratches on it and I want to put a new one in. How hard is the removal and installation of this part. I would rather not let the dealer to this if I can easily do it myself. I know that people have removed and painted their dashes and I'm considering this as well.

Thanks in advance.

-Todd

Congratulations on the upgrade. The dash is easy to replace. All you need is a screwdriver and an hour or so. Have fun!

OP
OP
T

ToddGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its good to hear that the removal isn't that hard. I don't have a service manual yet, can any one give a brief description of the process? My second question is about the air bag door. I want it to match the new dash. Can the door be replaced without changing the whole airbag unit? It comes from dodge as one unit. If it can be changed does any one know where I can get such a part. If it can't be changed with out springing for a whole new unit is there any way to clean it. Mine appears to have an oily residue on part of it maybe from a more than generous application of armorall. Thank you guys again for the help.

As for the car, she's red with no stripes and a back interior. It is close to stock except for intake, smooth tubes and lowered around an inch.

-Todd :2tu:

MannyG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope this helps (it's for an RT10) but should work. Follow the thread below, it even provides photos.

MannyG

Re: Custom Dash Questions...
#237281 - 02/04/03 09:26 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Roadkill, it seems like you have an RT/10, so your dash will be like the cheap looking Gen1 fuzzy dash.. It is really easy to remove. First remove both panels where your knees would be, remove ash tray and gently lift up the center console. The radio bezel section should be attached on the upper section with 2 metal tabs, so just pull it off gently. Remove the screws now exposed by the removeal of the radio bezzel, open the glove box and remove those screws. Locate the headlight switch and reach below it and you will feel a little bump on the top of the light switch housing, press it and the light switch knob will come out. Tilt steering wheel down, and start removing dash by pulling from the passenger side. There are about 5 metal clips holding the upper part of the dash, so pull gently to remove them. I think that the door bezzels are slid forwards to remove them. Unscrew the 2 scres on th einside of the door jamb and the long center door bezzel screw (has a washer on the rear, so be careful). You should be done. I cleaned and painted my dash to flat black and I have a CF ki on it. Check out http://www.villagephotos.com/pubgallery.asp?id_=61698
and go on Viper pics for pics of my dash. Let me know if you want the dash or need help. Good luck!

--------------------

Thanks,
Vip-RT10
1993 Viper RT-10 with 97 engine (Gen 1.5)
1991 BMW 850i
2000 Prowler Woodward Edition
2001 Mercedes S500