Hydraulic clutch

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1998 RT/10 with 28,128 miles, I have had it 7 + years and put on about 2,800 miles on it, everything is working fine but I am questioning if I should replace the clutch fluid or take it to the dealer, any thought's

Attachments

• 1000007983.jpg
    1000007983.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 5

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I would suggest that you learn to flush your own clutch fluid. Unfortunately, many, many owners neglect this process.

But, if you are worried about doing this on your own, find a shop that works on Vipers to do it and that will show you the process.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Get a friend and pump pedal. Seriously, I have done that on SCORES of Vipers when Viper Tech Tom Sessions who would come to Indy and work at my friend's CJDR dealership for a week at a time. Tom (former tech inspector for Viper Days/Viper Racing League) would not change clutch fluid any other way. No power bleeder, no vacuum bleeder, and no to gravity. He would place Viper on lift with me inside, and we coordinate the bleeding via voice commands as when to push pedal down, open bleeder, close bleeder, release pedal. He required at least 150 pedal pumps in sets of 25 each while keeping an eye on the small clutch reservoir. We NEVER had a problem using his procedure...other than my left leg feeling like it was going to fall off. :)

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do not have an extended bleeder hose installed, the lazy way works fine for cleaning up the fluid.

Get a baster.
su[c]k all fluid out of reservoir.
Wipe down reservoir with rag/microfiber/shop towel.
Fill with new fluid & put cap on.
Pump clutch a bunch of times.
Repeat 2+ times.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For more than 20 years and at least 40 trips to the track, I NEVER bled the slave cylinder. I would use the turkey baster and put clean fluid in the reservoir about every 5 years.

The second time I needed to pull my transmission out recently, I was ready with a remote bleeder system. It's all right there by the reservoir now.

Attachments

• Bleeder line.jpg
    Bleeder line.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Clutch in-out plumbing.jpg
    Clutch in-out plumbing.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Remote bleeder plumping.jpg
    Remote bleeder plumping.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Clutch bleeder bracket 90L.jpg
    Clutch bleeder bracket 90L.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jim, noting the many different ways to approach this issue (that most us have used at some point), I would say that it is easy to maintain a well cared for system, but it can be more difficult to rescue a neglected system. Hopefully, yours will be straightforward.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a power bleeder but I can't find a cap to fit the reservoir
Find a spare cap and send it to Motive. For a small price, they can modify it to work with their pressure bleeder system and send it back to you. Problem solved.