Joining VCA & Attending VOI 10? Too Late?

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted in the RT/10 and GTS forum a few weeks ago asking several questions about GTSes and SRT/10s, etc. Well, I've decided to buy a friend's 2003 SRT/10 with 3k miles on it. He's the original owner so I get to transfer the 7/70k mile warranty to myself. I've driven it to a few car shows so I have a grand history with the car. I'm very happy with it. He spends part of the year in Hawaii so we're setting up the date for the sale.

I just want to check, how soon can I join the VCA, and, how late is too late to sign up for VOI 10? Can I do both now? I've moved forward with this purchase a few months early solely so that I can attend VOI 10. What can I do to make sure I don't miss it?

Thanks.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem. When you get the VIN of your new Viper just send in your application. Let them know you want to attend the VOI and they will take care of you.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's the original owner so I get to transfer the 7/70k mile warranty to myself.

If you are talking about the "free" extended powertrain warranty on the car, I do not believe that is transferable. If you are talking about a separately purchased warranty, then that would be transferable once.

I just want to check, how soon can I join the VCA, and, how late is too late to sign up for VOI 10? Can I do both now? I've moved forward with this purchase a few months early solely so that I can attend VOI 10. What can I do to make sure I don't miss it?

Nothing's happened yet other than the announcement, i.e., no registration yet, so you should have no problem signing up after you buy the car soon. Note, you don't need to be a VCA member to attend VOI10, it it the "Viper Owners Invitational", not the Viper Club Invitational, so it is open to all owners, however, I believe if you are a VCA member, in the past you might have been able to sign up for VOIs earlier?

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking about the "free" extended powertrain warranty on the car, I do not believe that is transferable. If you are talking about a separately purchased warranty, then that would be transferable once.

Based on what I've read in several places the 7/70 drivetrain warranty is transferrable to the 2nd owner by paying a small fee. If anyone thinks this is incorrect please let me know.

V

Venomiss

Based on what I've read in several places the 7/70 drivetrain warranty is transferrable to the 2nd owner by paying a small fee. If anyone thinks this is incorrect please let me know.

You can PM Bill Pemberton with that question about warranty.

Here is the contact for your local VCA Club in case you don't have it already.
VCA Home

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome theamigo!!! Oh, you simply cannot go wrong with the '03 SRT!!!! Pics please!! PM your VIN# to the moderators, and you will be upgraded to VIPER OWNER ASAP!! (moderators are: citysnake/kcobean/lee00blacksilver/y2k5srt) ENJOY~~~juli

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should call a reliable dealer/salesperson, like Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge or Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge, to confirm.

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should call a reliable dealer/salesperson, like Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse Dodge or Chuck Tator at Tator's Dodge, to confirm.

The car I'm buying was originally sold by Roanoke, so I called there and talked to Dennis. He looked up the VIN and found that while it "should" be transferable their computer said it was NOT. He says I should check out the warranty information booklet that came with the car to see what it says about the 7/70k drivetrain warranty. I'm going to do that this weekend when I go to see the car.

I don't understand why this is such a hard question.

Thanks everybody.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car I'm buying was originally sold by Roanoke, so I called there and talked to Dennis. He looked up the VIN and found that while it "should" be transferable their computer said it was NOT. He says I should check out the warranty information booklet that came with the car to see what it says about the 7/70k drivetrain warranty. I'm going to do that this weekend when I go to see the car.

I don't understand why this is such a hard question.

Thanks everybody.

As I understand it, the "free" 7/70k drivetrain warranty given out by Chrysler/Dodge was only to original owners, which is a way for them to save a lot of money on future potential claims (given that many cars would get transferred), but a separate purchased extended warranty (which would include the free one, and maybe at a reduced price if bought by the original owner) can be transferred once.

As a practical matter, if you are concerned with having some extended warranty, then you might as well just buy a decent one that covers more stuff. You should be able to get a discount from many dealers, and look to pay ~$1500 for a 7 year, 50k mile, $0 deductible max care one.

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As I understand it, the "free" 7/70k drivetrain warranty given out by Chrysler/Dodge was only to original owners, which is a way for them to save a lot of money on future potential claims (given that many cars would get transferred), but a separate purchased extended warranty (which would include the free one, and maybe at a reduced price if bought by the original owner) can be transferred once.

Well, now that I've signed for the car and read the Warranty Information Booklet, here's the definitive answer for 2003 SRT/10s:

1. The last page of the booklet has a place for recording the first, second, and third owner's name.
2. The bottom of the last page says:
"Warranty coverage applies to all vehicle owners. To protect you in the event of a recall or any questions concerning your warranty, please tell your dealer about any ownership or address change, and write the details here."

V

Venomiss

Well, now that I've signed for the car and read the Warranty Information Booklet, here's the definitive answer for 2003 SRT/10s:

1. The last page of the booklet has a place for recording the first, second, and third owner's name.
"Warranty coverage applies to all vehicle owners. To protect you in the event of a recall or any questions concerning your warranty, please tell your dealer about any ownership or address change, and write the details here."

Congratulations on signing for your Viper! :2tu:
Have you talked with a dealer about the warranty transfer? When we sold our 2003 to a friend of ours he had to talk with the dealership and only had so much time to transfer the warranty from what I remember. Thought the dealership had paperwork to fill out.
Be safe and double check with a phone call.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In all likelihood, that is in reference to the standard 3 year / 36k mile warranty, and not the 7 year / 70k mile powertrain warranty. Again, simply calling a knowledgable person as mentioned above should provide you with complete information.

OP
OP
T

theamigo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all likelihood, that is in reference to the standard 3 year / 36k mile warranty, and not the 7 year / 70k mile powertrain warranty. Again, simply calling a knowledgable person as mentioned above should provide you with complete information.

Again, I called Roanoke. If they're not knowledgeable I don't know who is. I also PM'd Bill Pemberton. I also looked in the manual. Again, here are the responses:

1. Roanoke: Says it should be transferable. However, computer says it's not.
2. Bill Pemberton: Says it should be transferable.
3. Warranty Booklet: Very last line says "warranty coverage applies to all owners." Given that there are SEVEN separate warranties listed in the booklet you'd think that if "applies to all owners" was limited to ONLY the 3/36 they would include a qualifier stating as such.

By seven warranties I mean: 3/36 Basic. 7/70 Powertrain. Anti Corrosion. Fed Emissions. Fed Emissions Specified Components. California Emissions. California Emissions Specified Components.

So, I have done a bit of homework.

If anyone that's "knowledgeable" wants to post a formal statement I sure wouldn't mind.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Again, I called Roanoke. If they're not knowledgeable I don't know who is. I also PM'd Bill Pemberton. I also looked in the manual. Again, here are the responses:

1. Roanoke: Says it should be transferable. However, computer says it's not.
2. Bill Pemberton: Says it should be transferable.
3. Warranty Booklet: Very last line says "warranty coverage applies to all owners." Given that there are SEVEN separate warranties listed in the booklet you'd think that if "applies to all owners" was limited to ONLY the 3/36 they would include a qualifier stating as such.

By seven warranties I mean: 3/36 Basic. 7/70 Powertrain. Anti Corrosion. Fed Emissions. Fed Emissions Specified Components. California Emissions. California Emissions Specified Components.

So, I have done a bit of homework.

If anyone that's "knowledgeable" wants to post a formal statement I sure wouldn't mind.

This is the first time you mentioned having contacted Bill Pemberton on it.

Given the computer matter, I still wouldn't be too sure about this. It may be that the 7 year / 70k warranty was transferable at some point, and not transferable at another point.

To further complicate the issue, see (appear to be same info, one for Chrysler, one for Dodge):
New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Minivans, SUVs, Crossovers - Warranties
New Dodge Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty - Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Minivans, Crossovers, Wagons - Warranties
This link suggests the 7 year / 70k is transferable for a $150 fee, while the lifetime warranty is not transferable.

And this is an interesting link:
Chrysler LLC: News - Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Chrysler Financial, Mopar and GEM
The lifetime warranty needs to have an inspection to keep it active, isn't transferable, and is NOT available on SRT vehicles, etc.

So if the lifetime warranty is not available on SRT vehicles, there very well could have been a similar exception for the 7/70 at least for some period of time.

Until you get the transfer issue fixed in the computer, I wouldn't be comfortable.

FEDBYVORTECH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had same problems dealers were LOL at me saying vipers never came with 7yr warr. Mine is a 04 mamba. On the orignal window sticker says 7yr 70,000. There is a form the seller has to fill out for you.(DCSC CHANGE REQUEST FORM) The seller also needs to send a copy of his drivers lic. I picked the form up from the dealer. There is $125 fee. You must complete with in 30 days or something like that. :2tu: Almost forgot the dealer needs to see the car make sure it is operational. Dont talk to sales people they didnt know anything nor did the sales manager. Goto the service manager.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno