Tapping noise

EastCoastSRT10

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
My car just recently developed a weird tapping noise. It seems to go up with Revs but the weird thing is it only does it under load. Revving it in neutral or with the clutch in is smooth.

I only get the tapping noise with the clutch engaged and below 4k rpms.

You can also feel it in the frame under the passenger side footwell.

I thought it was a loose exhaust or something but haven’t been able to find anything yet.

Anyone else get this before? It’s hard to say valvetrain or anything engine related as it doesn’t make the noise in neutral nor can I feel it in the shifter.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say tapping, do you mean a single tap corresponding to your throttle input? If that is the case, you might want to look at motor or transmission mounts.

OP
OP
E

EastCoastSRT10

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
When you say tapping, do you mean a single tap corresponding to your throttle input? If that is the case, you might want to look at motor or transmission mounts.
No, it’s a rapid tapping that goes up with revs.

But it can’t be heard unless the engine is under load, only under 4k rpms and can only be felt under the passenger footwell.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a two person job. Car off the ground with one person engaging the drive train, other person spotting. If it's motor or transmission mounts, should be pretty noticeable. Like you mentioned, exhaust is another good place to look. Maybe even something ridiculous like road debris could have been picked up on a recent drive.

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be that driver side motor mount let go. The engine then rocks up when loaded causing the exhaust on the other side to hit something.

OP
OP
E

EastCoastSRT10

Enthusiast
Venom Member
Reaction score
Update: I was able to listen to it while the engine was revved and it sounds like the passenger side valvetrain. Doesn't do it at all RPMs and like I said it seems to go away after 4k.

It's not the "sewing machine" noise. This was a very noticeable change. Car runs fine though. Pulls strong and smooth with no hiccups.

I was debating about FI or NA but it seems like the car made the choice for me. Probably going to get a set of heads and cams from Havik and call it a day.

Last edited: