Variable Ride Height suspension system

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys , My name is Ravi, I am the owner of Umbrella Auto Design is Seattle, Washington. I recently posted in the RT/10, GTS section of your forum regarding a suspension system I manufacture. Forgive me if it is improper to also post in this area but I didn't realize that the other forum was just for RT/10 and GTS owners.

My device will work on all model Vipers

My shop specializes in the NSX however we are branching out into other markets.

I manufacture PATENTED ride height control device which is far superior to Roberuta and costs much less.

It is an aluminum cup which fits between your spring and the upper bearing plate in your existing coilover.

The device is pneumatically operated and comes with a very small and light weight power unit and aluminum air reservoir.

In the collapsed state(normal driving height) the device is metal on metal and acts only as a spacer, when you press the supplied button, the system fills with air and raises the vehicle to clear driveways, speed bumps, towtruck beds etc.

You can set your ground clearance as low as you like for normal driving and still have the ability to raise at any time to clear obstacles

The system will not affect your suspension handling in a negative manner as is the case with air bags or hydraulics. It merely acts as a spacer in the collapsed state.

This system will work on RT/10, GTS, SRT10, and SRT10 Coupe

Also unlike air bags, in the event of a system failure and a drop in air pressure, My system wont allow your car to come crashing down on the pavement (can you imagine that at 80 mph) As you are not normally riding on air. You only introduce air to the system when you need to clear an obstacle

The amount of lift is in the range of of 2-5"

We have been running the system on dozens of NSX's for about 3 years now, We have built systems for the Skyline GTR and recently been commissioned to build a system for the Porsche GT3.

This system will not change the way your Viper handles whatsoever.
Here is the link to the device on my website:

Variable Ride Height Suspension Kit by Umbrella Auto Design

Kits are available for front only or front and rear.

here are a few videos of customers cars with the system installed:

YouTube - Umbrella Auto Design Air Cup Kit for NSX

YouTube - umbrellaautodesign.com ultimate coilover suspension system

YouTube - 1998 Widebody NSX www.umbrellaautodesign.com

YouTube - Widebody 1998 nsx umbrellaautodesign.com

Details of the kit

The kit consists of:
4 flat pneumatic pistons
1 or 2 gallon aluminum air tank
air pump
electric air valves
DOT approved air line
switches
fittings
wiring kit
pressure switch
all necessary fittings
Bolt in mounting rack that requires no drilling
Pre wired wiring harness for total 3 wire hookup.
come completely pre plumbed and assembled

Install time around 5 hours with hand tools

Kit details:
Pistons manufactured in the USA from T351 2024 aerospace aluminum
Replaceable urethane seals
High quality Camozzi Air fittings
1400 psi DOT approved air line
Remote capable electric air valves
Complete system weight under 20lbs (front and rear kit)

also a few pics of the system are attached on the duplicate thread in the RT/10 GTS forum. Your system won't allow me to post any more pics.

Let me know if this is something viper owners would want.I would appreciate your input.

Feel free to call me with any questions

Thanks

Ravi
www.umbrellaautodesign.com
206 229 7856
[email protected]

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi thanks I agree , however I am new to your forum and as it seems my understanding is that I have already come close to the limit of pics I can attach?

I have a duplicate thread in the RT/10 GTS section of your forum i posted pics there earlier.

here is the link:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/597816-gts-adjustable-ride-height.html

On another note, I have also today emailed the moderator regarding advertising on your forum.

thanks

Ravi

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Very interesting concept. What determines how much lift you get as you mention 2-5"? I could see doing the front only option to get clearance for my front splitter and am not sure about justifying $2500 to add it especially in light of just spending $4k on motons to lower it.

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very interesting concept. What determines how much lift you get as you mention 2-5"? I could see doing the front only option to get clearance for my front splitter and am not sure about justifying $2500 to add it especially in light of just spending $4k on motons to lower it.

Hello nice choice on dampeners : ) I have the same on one of my nsx's. The longer you hold down the up switch on the system the higher the vehicle will raise until you max out the piston. Max lift is determined by the amount of droop in your suspension.

When you had your motons built did you give specs for droop limiters?

Max lift=the amount of droop in the suspension.

thanks

Ravi

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ravi,

Have to plead total ignorance here as I have never heard of droop before. Don't know if this will help or not - but here is a picture of typical setup with Motons for the front shocks on a SRT. The gap between the spring and the upper perch is taken up by a helper spring on my set-up.

motons_serpent_5.jpg

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ravi,

Have to plead total ignorance here as I have never heard of droop before. Don't know if this will help or not - but here is a picture of typical setup with Motons for the front shocks on a SRT. The gap between the spring and the upper perch is taken up by a helper spring on my set-up.

motons_serpent_5.jpg

Hello yes it will work perfectly with your setup. Droop is the amount your suspension unloads when the car is off the ground(like on jack stands)

I am guessing with your wheel rate you will get around 3.75-4.5" of lift from my device

Also you will be able to eliminate your tender spring which is only in place to keep tension on the main spring in the event that your suspension is unloaded.

Do you know the I.D. and rate/ length of your front springs?

thanks

Ravi

Reaction score
Most Moton setups are done with an 8" long spring with a 2.25" inside diameter spring. You can call me on Wed. and maybe we can do some business together. We do more Viper Motons than just about anyone.

Thanks,

800-889-1893

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Moton setups are done with an 8" long spring with a 2.25" inside diameter spring. You can call me on Wed. and maybe we can do some business together. We do more Viper Motons than just about anyone.

Thanks,

800-889-1893

No problem, who should I ask for btw : )

thanks

Ravi

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When you had your motons built did you give specs for droop limiters?

Max lift=the amount of droop in the suspension.

thanks

Ravi

Kane, is your product similar to the suspesion adjusters on the 06+ Lamborghini Gallardo and Murcielago? It seems to work in a similar fashion although on those cars its only on the front axle. You push and button and get about 3-5" of extra clerance, and they use coilover suspensions too (no air bags). Just wondering as it may make it alot easier to explain your product in real world terms.

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kane, is your product similar to the suspesion adjusters on the 06+ Lamborghini Gallardo and Murcielago? It seems to work in a similar fashion although on those cars its only on the front axle. You push and button and get about 3-5" of extra clerance, and they use coilover suspensions too (no air bags). Just wondering as it may make it alot easier to explain your product in real world terms.

Hello yes this is an excellent way of describing the function of my system.

thanks

Ravi

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ravi,

How does your piston fit on the shock? I could not see how the piston is constructed and/or if it just slid over the top of the shock like the springs.

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ravi,

How does your piston fit on the shock? I could not see how the piston is constructed and/or if it just slid over the top of the shock like the springs.

Hello our technology is proprietary, so we will not be handing out the design.

However a simple way of understanding it:

The air cup fits directly above the spring and below the upper spring perch. The unit fits inside your existing coilover.

Check out the attached pic

Alot easier to explain by telephone. Feel free to call me 206 229 7856

thanks

Ravi

Attachments

• DSCN0375.JPG
    DSCN0375.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
I understand that youre not giving away your secrets - I'm just trying to understand how it fits over the moton. The moton shock has a dogbone end on it with an adjuster on the end, unlike the plain threaded end on the nsx shock.

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that youre not giving away your secrets - I'm just trying to understand how it fits over the moton. The moton shock has a dogbone end on it with an adjuster on the end, unlike the plain threaded end on the nsx shock.

Hello, yes the nsx has an upper bearing plate and the moton for viper does not.

That makes no difference, the air cup still fits above your spring. The style of

upper spring perch is inconsequential to the function. Hope that clears it up.

Thanks

Ravi

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Ravi,

As you can tell from my posts, I am very interested in your system and the timing would be very good as I am about to install my motons. My Viper is apart so that I could easily run the lines and install the compressor. What is the warranty on the pistons, what is your expected failure rate, are they easily rebuildable, how long have these been in use, how long have you been in business, etc, etc, etc?

Best regards,

John

OP
OP
K

kane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ravi,

As you can tell from my posts, I am very interested in your system and the timing would be very good as I am about to install my motons. My Viper is apart so that I could easily run the lines and install the compressor. What is the warranty on the pistons, what is your expected failure rate, are they easily rebuildable, how long have these been in use, how long have you been in business, etc, etc, etc?

Best regards,

John

Hello, I am happy to answer your questions.

Umbrella Auto Design was est. 2003

Design by myself and my father. I hold a bachelors in M.E. and my father Holds a masters in M.E. and P.H.D. in physics. He is a retired aerospace engineer.

Air cups machined on $600,000 Makino A88 NC robot

Failure rate? We currently have approx 50 kits on the road on various highend marques and the failure rate is ZERO, we have never had any sort of failure, EVER.

Warranty- 1 year warranty for manufacturing defects,

Are the cups serviceable? yes you can send them back in to be overhauled for approx $300 depending on what would need to be replaced. As it sits in 3 years we have not had to replace anything and absolutely nothing has worn out. I have utilized the absolute highest grade materials and components available for this kit.

thanks

Ravi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Copperhd