**** your thumb?

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want to really want to trust your life to a china made 89.95 jack? I know a guy who was crushed to death with one of those junk jacks when it folded up and fill over. The same holds true for those junk metal tube jack stands where you put a pin in the hole. Spend the money and save a life!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you want to really want to trust your life to a china made 89.95 jack? I know a guy who was crushed to death with one of those junk jacks when it folded up and fill over. The same holds true for those junk metal tube jack stands where you put a pin in the hole. Spend the money and save a life!

Amen. Buy good tools.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator has been using the Harbor Freight jack for years without a problem. He actually told me on to it.

Mine is fine for the light work i use it for.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought the Torin aluminum quick pumps from Northern Tool. Doesn't have the reach of some that have been posted, but they're light, and can get under the car w/o a starter jack. Look spiffy too.

OP
OP
G

grcforce327

The harbor freight won't get under a lowered viper without hitting the exhaust covers.Two handle pumps with the omega and it's up.:2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After my longtime Craftsman jack burst, I bought the Arcan floor jack from Costco a month ago for $99.00. Aluminum, lightweight. It fits under my front fascia and reaches the front frame members to lift the entire front end up onto jacks when needed. Works very well. 5-6 pumps and its up to 19 1/4 inches. http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1207 Costco had these in some of their stores not too long ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grcforce327

After my longtime Craftsman jack burst, I bought the Arcan floor jack from Costco a month ago for $99.00. Aluminum, lightweight. It fits under my front fascia and reaches the front frame members to lift the entire front end up onto jacks when needed. Works very well. 5-6 pumps and its up to 19 1/4 inches. http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1207 Costco had these in some of their stores not too long ago.

If this is the jack you have,you must go 4-wheeling with your viper.It's the same deminsions as the harbor freight.

http://www.mygaragestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1207

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the dimensions are different. The Arcan jack is 3" longer and 1.5" wider. It slips under the front fascia to quickly lift the Viper onto jack stands. The Harbor Freight jack doesn't fit under the front fascia. The Arcan lifts 5" higher, rated for 2 tons and its $40 cheaper (at least when it was on sale). At 45 pounds, its still light enough to carry in the trunk for track events. Very high quality even though its made in China. Very well made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grcforce327

Post a pic of the jack slid under the front fascia reaching the crossbar without jacking it up any!Measure distance between front fascia and ground too!

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't mind the bug jerky :D The Arc design of the jack frame lets it reach further under the fascia without hitting the lip. Let me know if you need more pics, I'm working on the exhaust today.

Jack Partially Seated reaching tip of frame:
You must be registered for see images

Jack Full Seated Under Fascia:

Ground Clearance:

Jack:

OP
OP
G

grcforce327

I knew you were 4-wheeling!!!:omg: Try that with 3 inches of clearance!:nono:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wasn't recommending this for a 3" height but for stock. It'll work for 4" but I doubt I'll ever lower my Viper 1" let alone 2". I'd have to repaint my fascia every time I take it out on my roads.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grcforce327

Just stay away from the market parking lots and steep driveways, and buy the aluminum gaurd.Now paint that fascia and get out on the open road!:2tu:

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I was just dealing with a "jacked" up issue. When I first bought my viper, I thought I had a dead battery, I later found out the previoius owner had loosened the bolt on the post under the hood. While trying to change the battery on a Sunday night, I had to quickly buy a jack. Ended up with an aluminum torin 1 1/2 ton. It was ok but I didn't like the way it came down and it was a bit small for my taste. So last week I went and plunked down $160 for a new craftsman 2 ton aluminum jack. Needless to say it is much nicer.

My problem arose when I just went to adjust my penske shocks and lower the car. I realized that the craftsman profile is so much higher that it barely fits under the car at the stock height. If I lower the car, it won't fit. The question is "am I going to have this problem with all of the jacks I get or is this a problem mainly with the craftsman jack?" I know I can keep both and start with the torin to get high enough for the craftsman but I wasn't looking forward to constantly using two jacks.

I've included pics of the two profiles. The sidesill is about 4.75" now and the jack needs to get under about 7" to reach the jacking point.

Any jacks that more match the sturdiness of the craftsman but with a lower profile? Saw the Omega but at 100#s I can't imagin moving that thing around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno