What does the paint look like after removing graphics?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone removed graphics/decals on their car after being on the car for several years? My specific question is what did the clear coat paint look like after you removed the graphics? Was there much of a color difference and if so can it be buffed out? Thanks.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i took stripes of my 98 ram after them being on for about 6 years and the paint was fine. new paints hold up pretty good i think. but im no expert.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint will mostlikely be fine underneath. In fact is will probably look better then what is not covered. Therefore you will probably need a good polishing to get the the paint to match what was underneath.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Nader, I think this depends on the color, quality, maintainance of the paint and where the vehicle was stored. Some colors fade or oxidize more rapidly than others. The paint underneath has been protected and will most likely be in better shape than the unprotected paint.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took graphics off my Eclipse after 3+ years and the paint was fine (parked outside in the sun for 90% of that time). Buy some Tarminator (by Stoner, I think) to help remove any left over residue. Tarminator is the greatest stuff Ive ever seen for removing grime and residue

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the replies. What I am most concerned with are the decals on the side exhaust covers. I would think the intense heat would bake and discolor the paint. Thoughts?

ontilt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ofetn times especially with red the color will be different than the surrounding paint, this is in the paint which is under clear, if your car had seen a lot of sun you may see the old shapes/ decals. Probably wont be obvious except in certain lighting and angles.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently took off the paint matched Viper GTS emblems to replace them with black emblems.

While they were off I checked the paint out real well because I considered going shaved, with no emblems.

You couldn't even tell where they had been.

cudavip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have removed racing numbers and stickers in the past had the cars detailed and still in some lighting from different angles you could see a ghost of where the stickers were.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno