What happens to Vipers without premium fuel

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article is on the FOX news website- sign of the the times, but it could spell trouble for enthusiasts if we can no longer find the high octane fuel anymore:omg:

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. — Ernesto Evangelista prefers to pump premium gas into his seven-month-old Nissan Titan, thinking it makes the truck run better.
But at a BP station just a few blocks from the sand of Miami Beach, the 33-year-old painter grabbed the handle for the regular, 87-octane gas to fill his tank on a recent Friday.
"Premium is just too expensive," he said. "Nobody can afford to fill up with premium anymore."
With rising fuel prices pushing the national average for premium to $4.48 a gallon — about 40 cents higher than regular — motorists like Evangelista are buying less of it, industry statistics show.
Demand for high-octane fuel is at its lowest in nearly a quarter of a century and is now primarily consumed by a core group of luxury vehicle owners — and even some of them are putting lower-grade fuel into their tanks to save money.
In 1997, high-octane garnered 16 percent of the nationwide fuel market share, according to figures from the U.S. Energy Information Administration. Last month, premium had only 8 percent of the market. Last year, premium gasoline consumption fell to about 35.6 million gallons of gas per day, the lowest in 24 years, the agency said.

"We're down to the core, die-hard audience that believes they need 93," said Tom Kloza, publisher of the Oil Price Information Service, a New Jersey firm that provides petroleum pricing and news information.
Gas station owners say they are pumping so little premium that it can take three or four weeks to sell their high-octane inventory, as opposed to a couple of days for a delivery of regular gas

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This actually is good news...in a way. I filled up my dad's Vette at a gas station a couple weeks ago. Premium there was at least $0.20 cheaper than anyone else. I told the clerk that and she said that the reason is when they bought that inventory of premium gas prices were lower. They still hadn't run out of that inventory, so they haven't had to buy any more at the current (higher) price.

Reaction score
You should really whatch this though as if they are dropping prices to get rid of "old" supplies the gas could be junk when you pump it from sitting around. I have heard first hand about the shelf life for gas from the SRT engineers and it is very common for gas to go bad in a couple weeks of sitting in the ground so beware of stations not selling large amounts of premiun fuel when you fill up.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what's the difference if it sits in their tanks for a couple of weeks or in your cars tank over the winter? not trying to be wise, just don't see the difference.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me the trend seems to be going the other way.

With lots of supercharged, turbo charged and high compression small engines coming out, they can use a smaller engine that burns premium to get the same performance as a larger engine burning regular.

Around here the differential between premium, mid grade, and regular is only 10¢. About the same it has been for years.

OP
OP
Lawrenzo

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul, the article went on a little longer and it did state that many more cars are "suggesting" premium be used. However, people are not putting it in their tanks. With such a small percentage of people actually using it, we might see stations actually dropping premium from their selection.

If you're old enough you surely remember that 100 octane was much more readily available a long time ago, and then it virtually disapeared.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here in Canada the fule companies used the metric system to raise the premium fuel cost. Now it's an aveage of $.10 per liter or $.40 for us gallon! They want ALL of our money, like the government.

$6.00/us gal.

Ted

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's .40 cents higher for premium and the average tank is 20 gallons, you're only saving $8... $8 isn't worth putting better fuel in your vehicle? I think people overreact to the price difference, it's not that much in reality...

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's .40 cents higher for premium and the average tank is 20 gallons, you're only saving $8... $8 isn't worth putting better fuel in your vehicle? I think people overreact to the price difference, it's not that much in reality...

Agreed. Save the $8 somewhere else.

Ron

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not much of a drinker, but I'm hoping to sell a couple of my collector/muscle cars and have lots of gas money in the bank.

I bought my Viper already used and modified so I figure I saved about $100,000 so far for spending on gas, lol. To bad that when you get a 'deal' you don't get the cash you "saved", eh?

I use only premium fuel (91 oct) and I'll fill up with Mohawk of Chevron 94 when it's available.

I could probably use reg. for the highway driving I do, never have anu opportunity to go past 1/4 throttle so I could use regular if I desired.

Ted

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
S/C and 87 or less octane spells DETONATION, which spells engine failure........not my cup of tea........at least 91 is available in AZ!

VENUM INJECTION

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The book on my 08 recommends at least 91 octane. Does anyone know why some areas of the country only offer as high as 91, whereas others are 93. I am from Biloxi,MS and 93 is premium. I now live in El Paso, TX and 91 is premium, but noone knows why there is a difference. Second question, don't engines burn cleaner and run cooler with higher octane fuel? Thanks in advance.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live at 5000 feet and was told I could run regular and mid grade instead of premium as long as I am not on it hard. Regular is 85 and mid grade is 87 here. Thoughts from experts?

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live at 5000 feet and was told I could run regular and mid grade instead of premium as long as I am not on it hard. Regular is 85 and mid grade is 87 here. Thoughts from experts?

Regular is 85??? time to move!

But seriously: The engine will run better on the higher octane fuel. 85-87 is pretty low. While I'll get some slack from some for saying this... : If it were any _other_ car other than a viper, the conventional wisdom would be to put in a tank of 85 and see how it runs. If it pings and runs like crap, then move up to a higher grade. If it runs fine, the keep running 85.

I know people who _swear_ that their cars run better AND get better mileage on the higher grades of gas. Yours may or may not be that type.

Also, since i can't contain myself: You can afford the car but not the gas? c'mon... it's a viper! Even if the total cost of fuel triples (and it has in some places, or it may in others), then your total annual fuel consumption still isn't THAT expensive. so you go from 2k to 6k... if you can afford a viper it isn't that horrible. IMHO.

And now back to your regularly scheduled octane-debate...

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All higher octane does is hold off combustion, that is why lower octane fuel will "ping" in a high compresion engine, is is combusting prematurly.
Running high octane fuel in a lower compression engint that deos not need it can acctually hurt your performance.
The fuel is not any higher quality and it is not any cleaner.
If your car does not have high compression or boost from forced induction, SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy the regular fuel.
I think as long as you stay with the top end gas stations you wil not have fuel problems.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes our regular is 85 at 5000 feet, no matter were you move to in a high altitude environment. So I tried 87 in the tank and don't notice anything different. This is for around town driving of course. A friend in the VCA has been using 85 with no perceived adverse effects either and got 30+ MPG highway miles on the last muti-day driving trip we took. Mind you, that was in a GenI Viper.

Since compression isn't high in a stock Viper engine as compared to the 11 to 1 engines of years past, should all be OK for regular driving, if regular is driving that doesn't attract the local authorities :)

And as to the affordability remark, why pay more for something you may not need under the right conditions?

snowrunner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If an engine Recommends or requires it then you must use it. Many engines have knock sensors (able to determine low octane) which will change the fueling and ignition curve and will cut power dramatically.

High elevatiosn will run lower octane #'s as the air density is lower.

Rule of Thumb - if the Manufacturer requires high octane then run it. The news media have no idea about the real usage of premium. A high octane number will not benefit a car that doesn't require it (like a neon, camry, etc).

Modified cars with super chargers or turbos MUST run Premium or higher. Really any high-performance engine will require it as well. Daily drivers likely don't, but read the owners manual.

Running lower than required octane will destroy and engine quickly. The original Durango R/T (1999 - 2000MY)with the 360 didn't have knock sensors and required premium. As soon as the owners put lower octange fuel in they detonated and were basically scrap.

Put the right gas in!