DARTY ??? How does yours feel? Steering??

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
Quick Question.
My 99 RT/10 feels real darty or touchy you could say at high speeds 100+.
Like if I barely touch the wheel it darts one way or another. I have BFG drag Radials on the rear. Now this is the first Viper i've owned so is it just because the Viper has really fat front tires or just really touchy steering? Also if the road is uneven the tires seem to feel every groove in the road and pull or push the car one way or another? Is this normal?
Thanks,
James :usa:
AKA mustangjay660

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A beemer or benz at 120 is so stable you could put 1 finger on the wheel. A Viper at anything over 100 is a 'both hands tight on the wheel' kinda car. I love it.

Alignment is the key. You could re-do it all to make the car 'feel' planted, if that's what you want. Personally, I rarely drive over 120 in the US, so I want to keep it 'darty'.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh huh?? So how do some of you go 180 mph isnt that some scary [******] in a viper? Cause you touch the wheel a little ity bit to hard and WHAM your all the way in another lane?? I was passing at 120 and it was quite scary. Now i've passed or changed lanes at 130 in my Mustang and not to much worring there. But i see about the alignment maybe i'll get that checked out. Thanks for your input guys, if anyone else would like to add anything i'd appreciate it.
Thanks again

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of your problem in the BFG's. They are designed to go straight. The side walls are really soft, don't try to turn at high speeds with those things on the rears! :eek: :eek:

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you are traveling primarily on groved roads, the car will feel aweful with these big tires. They don't run well in the groves. So the road will cause the car to feel very darty. You shouldn't have to hang on for dear life at 120 or 160mph. Unless your alignment is out or your running on something like our Canadian roads LOL
Mismatched tires won't help either.

vipeuup

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
Quick Question.
My 99 RT/10 feels real darty or touchy you could say at high speeds 100+.
Like if I barely touch the wheel it darts one way or another. I have BFG drag Radials on the rear. Now this is the first Viper i've owned so is it just because the Viper has really fat front tires or just really touchy steering? Also if the road is uneven the tires seem to feel every groove in the road and pull or push the car one way or another? Is this normal?
Thanks,
James :usa:
AKA mustangjay660

Congrats on your viper. Yeah, I felt the same way, with my Viper when I first got it. But, after lowering it with coilover suspension. It wasnt so twitchy. Made it better. Youll get use to your car. enjoy.

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's not the kind of tires you're using. Mine feels great w/Pilots. 120MPH passing is fine, the car is responsive like I expect it to be. I know the Gen1 cars had a bad reputation for being darty and 'over' responsive, but this was really fixed w/the Gen2 chassis/suspension.

I'd say either you're not used to the car (maybe were driving a mini-van or something prior :) or there's something else going on.

Cal

PS - I had an 1989 Saleen vert, and had it up to 120+ several times, and I feel a lot more comfortable driving the Viper at those speeds vs the stang. To me, the Viper just feels a lot more solid and capable at those speeds. Haven't gotten to anything over 130 yet :-(

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's not the kind of tires you're using. Mine feels great w/Pilots. 120MPH passing is fine, the car is responsive like I expect it to be. I know the Gen1 cars had a bad reputation for being darty and 'over' responsive, but this was really fixed w/the Gen2 chassis/suspension.

I'd say either you're not used to the car (maybe were driving a mini-van or something prior :) or there's something else going on.

Cal

PS - I had an 1989 Saleen vert, and had it up to 120+ several times, and I feel a lot more comfortable driving the Viper at those speeds vs the stang. To me, the Viper just feels a lot more solid and capable at those speeds. Haven't gotten to anything over 130 yet :-(

Gen 1's have a little stiffer ride. I wouldn't say they are more darty. I had my '95 RT over 150mph on more than one occasion. Handles very well!

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 1's have a little stiffer ride. I wouldn't say they are more darty. I had my '95 RT over 150mph on more than one occasion. Handles very well!

Yeah that could be, I've yet to drive a Gen1. Everything I read lead me to believe they were a lot more dicey/challenging to drive, which was one of the reasons I wanted a Gen2 chassis/suspension (the list of changes between the two is monumental).

My friend and his wife have one of each, and says he can definitely tell a big difference between the two, not that the Gen1 was bad, just a different beast to pilot.

Cal