1996 Blue and White GTS question (need info and advice)

mrussell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1996 blue and white GTS. My white stripes seem to have an edge on them like they are stickers instead of paint. I always thought they were painted on. Would paint leave an edge?

I'm the second owner. I bought the car from a guy in Florida back in 2000.

The reason I'm asking is because today I was washing the car and the water spray took a small .5 inch by .5 inch piece of a white stripe off in the middle of one of the stripes. Underneath it is the same blue as the rest of the car.

Any suggestions on the best way to fix this?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stripe is painted on but you can feel it. I can't believe the prep work was so bad that the stripe flaked off... That makes me want to never pull the 3M clear bra off as it might pull the paint off the car.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW, that *****. You could try to touch it up with white touch up paint and then try to level/blend it into the rest of the stripe with one of thos hard sanding blocks (2000 grit) they sell for leveling touch up without hitting/making the stripe around the area thin. I would also try Langka for your leveling as this will not effect the sourounding area and if you mess up just remove paint and start over since Langka will only remove the touch up paint. It will be a tedious process but I think it can be done. Your other option is alot more expensive and involves repainting the stripes. Where are you located, I would be glad to help if you are close to Phila.

OP
OP
M

mrussell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm located in Michigan. Northern Metro Detroit area.

If you know the area I live in Clarkston, MI.

Below is a link to a pic of the damage. I need advice on what to do. I want to make sure it doesn't get any worse. I really don't want to have the stripes repainted.

I did this using the pressure water gun at one of those drive in manual car wash places. I have washed the car like this for years, but this time it pealed the paint off like a pressure washer would if you were using one to remove old paint off a wooden deck.

http://www.saltwaterforests.com/files/VIPERCHIP.JPG

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bet that hood had been re-painted. On my '96 the stripes' edge was much ebtter than that.

I use a pressure washer for the cars all the time, and see no reason for this kind of problem. Of course, you would not want to use it close-up and mine only works are 1500PSi....I keep the wand a good distance. You really don't want the pressure to do the washing.

(I use a pressure washer as I have a CR Spotless system that needs to have a GPM limit that the pressue washer does.)

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turn down the pressure on that washer. You are peeling the paint. Just like in that Bruce Willis movie, where he pressure washes the top paint to expose the bottom paint and makes an escape.

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could've been repainted by previous owner......unfortunately,i think a repaint of stripe by good body shop is the move(going to be very hard to touch up and have paint match existing stripe)....and do stop using high pressure washer on car,hose and soap are just fine.

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The poor quality of the stripe coupled with the flakage make me believe that it was a poor repaint.

Jay K.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In regards to the Langka touchup paint system, I've tried this 2-3 times according to the directions and it turned out to be Crapka, at least for me. I tried to blend in a paint chip and it looked like sheet. Anyway, it may have worked for you, but sure didn't work for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merakkw