Almost There....

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stars are aligning on my end for my first viper purchase next year. Things have gone slower at my job than expected, but next year will be my year. Not only that, I think my real boss finally gave in (wife).

I only have one glaring issue and just wanted to hear some opinions.

Has anyone ever gone from gen II to gen III or IV and regretted it?

No matter what car I get, it will have motons and the stop-tech brakes, OS Giken, and proper motor/tranny mounts. Given that, how much different will a gen II drive than a III/IV? See, part of me thinks I will want the newer vehicle, and the other part of me wants the gen II. I've wanted one since I was 10. Every time I see a viper, I still get that "feeling" no matter what gen, but I just can't decide.

Other issue is looks. Sometimes I see a newer gen viper and I go "damn...."but then the curves of a gen II do the same damn thing.

Anybody else have this issue? :dunno:

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I'm buying in January of February and really the only solution to your problem is trying each one out for yourself. I'm gonna drive a gen 2 and a z06 to be sure, but I'm 98 percent sold on a gen 3. Good luck!

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my cars (GEN II & GEN IV) are completely stock so with that said here's my thought. I was not disappointed at all when I got my GEN IV. Its a fantastic car. Drives better, breaks better, MORE POWER, better tranny, smoother clutch. Now, I LOVE my GEN II. I would drive it over my GEN IV anyday. That's the car I fell in love with all those years ago and still love to drive despite all the positives mentioned above about my GEN IV.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is a Viper! No need to second guess ever. Find the one that is right for you that meets all your personal criteria; Color, Style, Mods, Price, etc. etc.
... And then it will still be a Viper and more importantly, it will be YOUR Viper! :D
Once you get used to looking at it in your garage and realize it's not a dream, you'll not have any regrets on your choice because it met all your personal criteria.
Good Luck and pre-congratz!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my cars (GEN II & GEN IV) are completely stock so with that said here's my thought. I was not disappointed at all when I got my GEN IV. Its a fantastic car. Drives better, breaks better, MORE POWER, better tranny, smoother clutch. Now, I LOVE my GEN II. I would drive it over my GEN IV anyday. That's the car I fell in love with all those years ago and still love to drive despite all the positives mentioned above about my GEN IV.

this is the answer....

VIPER PIT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with 01saphirebob. I have 2 gen II and a gen IV. I love the gen II style more and find myself in the seat of them 3 times more than the IV. If conditions requires me to let one go it would be the IV. The IV is way more advanced but the seat of the pants adrenaline go-kart ride of the gen II is where it's at. Everyone that sees the genII says "is this thing new" and I reply with nope it just turned 11 years and they freak. Most people recognize the IV if the know what they are looking at, but the gen II ------ everybody knows what it is!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both also, and find myself driving my Gen IV more often, the car is just so much better overall. However, the Gen II wins on most other topics. It depends on what is more important to you.

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like those who have owned both still adore their Gen II. It is a hard decision though. Prices on the Gen II has risen quite a lot in the past year. There is little difference now in price between a Gen II and Gen III. Horsepower can be fixed with nuts, bolts, and a little bit of Greg Good so that was never in the equation. Hopefully, I can test drive both when it comes time.

SlayerLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prices on the Gen II has risen quite a lot in the past year. There is little difference now in price between a Gen II and Gen III.

Yeah.....is there a secret gold bar hidden in each GTS final edition and B/W GTS? Those are the only Gen II's I would consider, but sellers seem to be on something. Especially the final edition sellers.

ZYellow01RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned one Gen 1, one Gen 2, and have driven a Gen 3.

I could never see myself NOT having a Viper with those original classic lines from the first two generations.

That being said, everyone has their personal preferences, and this decision can only be YOURS.

Whatever you decide, it will be a winner. :2tu:

OP
OP
M

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah.....is there a secret gold bar hidden in each GTS final edition and B/W GTS? Those are the only Gen II's I would consider, but sellers seem to be on something. Especially the final edition sellers.
I've noticed that the ACR's are really high right now, but if people are willing to pay it, then that is what it is worth.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have one of each,gen ll's seem so *********, I love it. the genlV seems almost plush, it's soft and leans over a lot. the gen ll is scary in the rain.The gen lV feels completely safe and sane

troublemaker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but sellers seem to be on something. Especially the final edition sellers.

This, I completely agree with. I've never really considered the red/white Gen2s to be that sought after, but maybe it's just me. I have been in the market for a B/W Gen2, but lately have been liking the Silver/Blues much more although they are a lot harder to find. I guess when you are looking for a 12-13 year old car where only 87 existed originally, the market is tiny.

I think all the Generations are sought after for different reasons, the 4 seems to be the most refined and the fastest, the 3s are a close second while being easier to modify, while the looks of the 2s do it for others(me being one of them), I have never really liked the RTs, so I haven't really looked at the Gen1s, but you can definately pick one up cheap.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do not second guess the rt10 until you have seen one in person. I was the same way for years. I love and favor my gts but seeing an rt in person still gets me giddy. Especially in person!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy