Any alternative to Michelin Pilot Tires

VIPERUSH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site but have been reading post for few months already and enjoy it quite a bit. Here is my question:I know Michelin is no longer producing those big run flats for my SRT10. So can anyone tell what alternatives I have. Thanks
p.s. I would like to stay with Runflats.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was not aware that the runflats Michelin Pilot Sport ZP (the OEM tire on your car) is no longer being produced. If you are dead set on having the runflats, call Luke at Tire Rack or Jon Brobst at Parts Rack to see if they have any sets left in inventory.

I am also aware that Michelin is coming out with a runflat version of the Pilot Sport 2 tire but at this time the only sizes listed are for cars like the ZR1 Corvette which does not use the same tire sizes.

The only other alternative would be to go with the nonrunflat Michelin PS2 (which is what they use on the 2008 Vipers) in the stock sizes but then buy a tire repair kit from Chrysler or Tire Rack. These are the mobile air compressor with the goo you inject in the tire. (There are other nonrunflat tires out there in the stocksizes but they are all DOT race compound tires like the Hoosier R6 or the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup which are not ideal for driving in wet weather or day to day driving).

/Rich

OP
OP
V

VIPERUSH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To Billy, after 19,200 miles my runflats are down to the groove mark on the rear but I still have tickness in front for another 10,000 miles..maybe.

To Rich, I did try Tire rack, Discount Tire direct (at Michelin service dept suggestion)and other non american stores but to no avail. "Back order or non in stock" with no date for production I was told... So I called Michelin head office and was told by customer service supervisor that those Pilot ZR runflats were DISCONTINUED.... So I guess we GenIIIs are SOL...

I wonder how the folks at Dodge in Detroit feel about Michelin's post production service or...lack thereof!

Finally a little comment on non runflats: I did ride my PORSCHE C4S on Michelin Pilot non runflats (softies) and I can assure you that the ride is much more "whippy". Being soft those tires will "Whip" your rear end out of any sharp curve at any speed. Some may like the bouncy feel of the non runflats and that's ok. Me, I prefer to feel the road by the seat of my pants and take the turns hard and steady; the way any Viper ride should feel.

Thanks for your comment I will keep you posted on the outcome of this Michelin Saga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was in Charlotte last weekend for business and girlfriend and I did the SRT drive exp. friday. They had a LOAD of runflats on the 08s and I watched them mount somemore on at lunch. Someone has them...

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Looks like we're through getting run flats - for a while anyway. I didn't care for them in any case.

If you are looking for a good replacement tire for your car, the PS2 in the C1 configuration (it will say something like OE Viper) would be your best bet. These tires are spec'd on the 08 Viper and have stiffer sidewalls than other PS2 tires.

Dan

DEKE01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site but have been reading post for few months already and enjoy it quite a bit. Here is my question:I know Michelin is no longer producing those big run flats for my SRT10. So can anyone tell what alternatives I have. Thanks
p.s. I would like to stay with Runflats.

Having recently switched run-craps on my 04 for PS2's, I've got to say there is no comparison. The car no longer tram lines and grips WAAAAAAY better on dry and wet surfaces.

I know I'm taking a chance on a flat, but I prefer a rare flat over constant zero traction.

OP
OP
V

VIPERUSH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks Viper X and DEKE01, looks like runflats may not be as good as I thought? I wonder what the 08 version folks think about their traction experience with PS2's? I will post on their blog to find out. Thanks.
p.s. must be a good reason why Dodge is switching to PS2's

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having had a 2006 with the runflats and now an 08, other than losing runflat capability the PS2 is the better tire in terms of grip and also allowing a more compliant ride.

As I said previously, you can remedy the flat issue by buying a mobile tire fix kit from Tire Rack or another vendor.

/Rich

OP
OP
V

VIPERUSH

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi again, I finally found some rear run flats in my own back yard ...next town! I did try alternative tire brands but nothing available in 345/30/19 except NITTO's. Not sure how good they are?

Anyway I wasn't ready to change all 4 to psII so I hanged in and found this tire dealer guy who had specially ordered run flat for his owm viper...I love those guys (brotherly love that is...)

So,I bought a brand new set and i am good to go for another few years; then will replace with 4x psII.

For you guys who are in-between run and non run flats, give him a call he has another full set of brand new genIII run flats front and back. His name is MIKE ADAMS from DETTMER TIRE in Guelph ontario cell# 519-743-8473 check his web site at www dettmertire.com
ps. He also told me that there are somne run flats available somewhere in washington dc! good luck

rtigert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, when was the last time that you changed a tire on the side of the road? This car deserves better tires, and deserves the best tire for traction (both wet/dry). Buy the PS2's and call a rollback; should you ever need a flat repaired.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tirerack stocks the Pilot Sport Runflats... I just saw them on the site the other day.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
michelin is the best option...the nitto invos are also available...but are not in the same league as the ps2

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I went with the pirelli p-zero and i don't think the traction is all that great. I think i had better traction with my pilot runflats when they were new...........???
Maybe its the smaller sidewall on the pirelli's

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno