Battery Issue

Calvin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have placed 2 differentDiehard Batteries in my TA. They have not lasted long. I don't know if I have a short somewhere. The amp meter is showing around 14.3, which if memory serves correct is normal and means is charging. Any ideas where i should start to track this down?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
What is your definition of "lasted long" and what exactly
was the reason given for the failure of the battery itself?
Viper engine management computers are known for parasitic
draws that will kill even the best batteries over a few years
if its not driven regularly (as in more than once a week.)
If you do not have a quality tender to protect the draw
(I use Battery Tender 5amps for my Optimas) the repeated
drain will cause the cells to develop memory issues and
prevent charging from any source.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To answer your own question about an abnormal draw, use your digital multimeter to perform an Ignition Off Draw (IOD) test. But before you start the test, lower the Viper's windows !!!

I USED to use Diehard Gold batteries in our Vipers...until they started dying at the two year (or less) point...WITHOUT an abnormal draw. At that point, I ditched all flooded lead-acid batteries and moved to AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries which GENERALLY last 2-3 times longer if properly charged and appropriately maintained with battery tenders. Yes, AGM's are a little heavier and are more expensive...but they are worth it in my opinion. I have have had good luck using AGM's from Interstate (MTZ series) and AGM's from Odyssey.

If your Viper is stored in a place lacking electricity (and a small solar charger is not an option), consider "sleep mode" for the Viper. Then, set up a rigid charging schedule at home.

Also, keep in mind that heat kills batteries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Copperhd