From what Material is the floor section made on a GTS Gen 2?

Niko7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

some misfortune happened, while working on the car.

We damaged the left rear section of the floor a little. Got pushed in 1 or 2 inches by the lift stamp, right besides the Lift Hook. Don´t have any idea how we did manage that. Seems like mechanical fail on the lift.

It looks not great but it´s also not too badly damaged. I think i can pull it.

Is it from Aluminium made or is it of GFK Layer? Did that also happen to someone here?

Best

OP
OP
N

Niko7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not exactly happy about.... i think it happened at the Tüv-Station....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240728_133400_com.hihonor.photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_133400_com.hihonor.photos.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240728_133927.jpg
    Screenshot_20240728_133927.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 38

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
If it's anything like the gen 3 I would suspect it's likely steel. I had an "offroad incident" in my car many years ago that put a pretty good dent into the bottom of my passenger side seat pan. I don't think it's aluminum because I'm pretty sure it's actually welded to the frame rails, though I suppose there is a chance it could be adhered with panel bonding compound. I'd agree with GTS Dean though, try a magnet as that would tell the story pretty quick I imagine.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not very bad damage and I'm almost positive the pans are steel. It could be bumped back out reasonably well in a few hours. Put the car up on 4 stands and remove the seats. Get yourself a selection of different length/width hardwood blocks and a 1-2kg sledge hammer. Begin from the edges of the dents and work toward the deepest areas.

If you want it all done smoothly at once, you will need to remove the console top, door jamb trim, T-panel behind the seats and the carpet tubs to get to bare metal inside. This might take up to 2 days depending on skill level. Tip: to get the console off the parking brake lever, first pull the cable terminals out of the brake caliper levers.

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id honestly leave it alone. You'll probably risk more damage trying to fix it.

If its dents, its metal of some type. if it cracks its fiberglass or Carbon. Its most likely metal and you can bang it out if you want to.

OP
OP
N

Niko7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had some thoughts about getting some Dent Pulling Set with Glue and Stuff. Looks possible. I think it is aluminium. To weak and thin for GFK or CFK. I would not want to push it out as i have made several bad experiences when pushing from inside-out. Force should always come from same side.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know they fix dents from the inside out right? Paintless dent removal

Plus what you think and what the magnet will tell you are 2 different things.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only aluminum bits under the car are the oil pan, bellhousing, diff, wishbones, side sill covers and the transmission tunnel cover plate.

The floor pans are STEEL. Use a magnet and prove it to yourself.

Last edited:

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not very bad damage and I'm almost positive the pans are steel. It could be bumped back out reasonably well in a few hours. Put the car up on 4 stands and remove the seats. Get yourself a selection of different length/width hardwood blocks and a 1-2kg sledge hammer. Begin from the edges of the dents and work toward the deepest areas.

If you want it all done smoothly at once, you will need to remove the console top, door jamb trim, T-panel behind the seats and the carpet tubs to get to bare metal inside. This might take up to 2 days depending on skill level. Tip: to get the console off the parking brake lever, first pull the cable terminals out of the brake caliper levers.
It’s steel for sure
Removing the door jamb trim to pull the carpet is easier said than done because the plastic trim is retained by screws that hide behind some plastic plug/cap that cannot be removed without any damage to the plug or trim and they have been nla for a very long time

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missmyacr