Gen 2/GTS Hatch Support Mount Question

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got home from a 17 hour ride to pick up a 2000 GTS. Nice car, with a few little things to address. One is the gas lift mount for the glass hatch. My right side ball stud mount that is affixed to the glass is not attached. I just got it home and haven't had a chance to look up any glass adhesives. Anyone have their ball stud mount come loose on their hatch and successfully reattach/remount it? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(Car is off the trailer...washed/dried...I'm going to bed...)

Attachments

• Hatch 1.jpg
    Hatch 1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Hatch 2.jpg
    Hatch 2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 10

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess the same stuff that is used for the rear view mirror would be what was applied at the factory.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes. Threads about it popping off from the heat. Search this and other forums.

The rear view mirror adhesive is not strong enough as those cylinders has quite a bit of force to them.

Talk to a windshield shop.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that also, but the ball stud mount sits on the dark/black coating at the periphery of the glass, not directly on the clear glass, as the rear view mirror does. I don't know if the adhesion properties are the same on that coating. I may try that, but I'd like to hear from anyone who successfully remounted the mount bracket. It will experience a heavy "shearing" load that the rear view mirror doesn't. That darn hatch glass is heavy, too. My left torn rotator cuff was screaming at me while I was holding the hatch up and trying to take those crappy pictures. Thanks for the reply.

(...and thanks again for the red hardtop you sold me last summer for my Gen 1. Working out great when its needed!)

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I have been out of town and have not had a chance to follow up on this thread. This past Sunday, I used two different adhesives that were available that day. I used Loctite "Glass Glue" at the ends of the mount, and placed Loctite "Extreme Glue" in the central area of the bracket. Glass Glue is quick setting and Extreme Glue takes hours to set up. I clamped the bracket and let in bake in the sun for six hours. I closed the hatch and parked the car in my shop without disturbing the glass or reconnecting the gas piston. Came home from Georgia yesterday. The original lifts will not hold up the glass after reinstalling the one on the separated mount. Fortunately, I ordered two new ones prior to my trip and I am awaiting the arrival of the UPS truck as I key this in. I will immediately install them upon arrival and see if the repair holds, at least for now. If it separates again, I will use the windshield urethane or epoxy sealer. I will post a final outcome after gas lift installation.
Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• Window Adhesives.jpg
    Window Adhesives.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 2

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
FYI...read this old post by AviP on this site:

Post in thread 'Rear hatch unglued on my GTS, again!'

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acknowledging both replies. Thanks.
I'll await the "big disappointment" when it comes off again. Still awaiting the UPS delivery of my new lifts. That will be the beginning of the test. If it comes off, I will review the info sent on the replies and use the proper adhesive and prep procedures.

OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the UPS guy came, and I installed the new Stabilus struts. They work great, and the hatch springs up quickly to full extension. I have latched and unlatched the glass about 15 times, and the mount is still in place. I realize the shearing force that is loading that adhesive, so, yes, I remain skeptical that I have repaired this long-term. We shall see what happens...

Attachments

• Hatch Lift 1.jpg
    Hatch Lift 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Hatch Lift 2.jpg
    Hatch Lift 2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 4