Reaction score

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
never heard of it, maybe the bandit himself can chime in:lmao:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you looking for one to use on a Motorcycle? If it's for your car you should get one rated M for cars. They have better fire resistance than motorcycle helmets.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Helmet City who coincidently is a supporter and offers members a discount on purchases. They carry all of the major brands and have great prices.

For Motorsports you definitely want a SA approved helmet, NOT a M helmet.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you looking for one to use on a Motorcycle? If it's for your car you should get one rated M for cars. They have better fire resistance than motorcycle helmets.

Your advice is somewhat backwards....

M = Motorcycle
SA = Speed-Auto Special Application

there are actually 12 Snell ratings, plus DOT ratings.

HELMET CITY..... Snell SA2005 | Helmet City Kyle.

10% off to VCA and I believe 2-day air at ground rates. VCA Sponsor. Buy the lightest helmet you can afford.

"Bandit" helmet.....
I DO NOT SEE THIS HELMET on the Snell site..... but flea-bay would NOT fib, would they?
Snell Certified Helmets

Are your brains worth $199? Brain injury can be devestating, vs spending an extra $300-$500.

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's $199 because it's SA2005 and some clubs will require the latest and greatest which is SA2010.

that's exactly right.

If you're not going to club race it's totally fine. If your going SCCA or NASA, probably better to pony up for a SA2010

OP
OP
V

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe the SA2010's are out yet ..... The M2010's are out

Given that the SA2010 won't be available till Oct, seems silly to have a price reduction when there is no alternative available yet....in any event, I'll stay away from this one and check out Bell, Simpson, and G-Force

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old racer saying - If you have a $10 head. Buy a $10 helmet.

I always race with brand name products. Just make sure that your equipment is up to date and in good repair. You don't necessarily have to spend a bunch to get a good lid - as long as it meets current standards.

I've raced with Simpson Bandit's for years. The lid in the ad doesn't look like a Simpson Bandit to me.....

Greg

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's $199 because it's SA2005 and some clubs will require the latest and greatest which is SA2010.

that's exactly right.

If you're not going to club race it's totally fine. If your going SCCA or NASA, probably better to pony up for a SA2010

Perhaps one of you two should update the Wikipedia page on the Snell Memorial Foundation, because according to it, the SA2010 dosnt exist yet. So i couldnt imagine any track requiring it:)

Snell Memorial Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RacingHelmetGuide.com: Snell SA2010 Helmet Announcement

Looking through the SCCA forums i see people saying that one of the past 2 generations of Snell are required: Currently SA2000&SA2005. So that would mean that when SA2010 comes out next year that it and SA2005 will be the requirement for the scca for the next 5 years.

Dear Valued Customer:

We have received several questions recently regarding the upcoming Snell SA2010 transition. For the Snell SA or Special Applications standard, the first Snell SA 2010 certified helmets will not be available for sale from any manufacturer until October 1, 2010. This is the official release date for the latest Snell standard. Between now and October 1, 2010, Bell Racing will continue to sell Snell SA2005 certified helmets.
Snell SA2005 Helmets – Good For Another 5 Years
Retail customers may start to question the necessity of buying a Snell SA2005 helmet and decide to postpone purchasing a new helmet until the Snell SA2010 standard is released. It is important to remind customers of the necessity of having adequate head protection and the need to replace helmets that have been damaged or have exceeded their useful life expectancy regardless of the next Snell transition date.
When the next Snell SA standard is released, sanctioning bodies will require Snell SA2005 or above. In reality, a customer that buys a Snell SA2005 helmet between now and October 1, 2010 will be able to use that helmet for at least another 5 years. Bell recommends replacing helmets that have been exposed to normal wear and not subjected to an accident after a 5 year period.
In the coming months, we will continue to provide updates regarding the latest Snell SA standard. If you have any questions related to the Snell transition, please contact me by phone at or by e-mail at

Thank you,

Kyle Kietzmann
General Manager
Bell Racing Company - A Division of Easton Bell Sports
116 E. Neal Drive
Rantoul, IL 61866
800-237-2700
Racing Helmets, Racing Suits, Racing Gear - Bell Racing - bellracing.com

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your advice is somewhat backwards....

M = Motorcycle
SA = Speed-Auto Special Application

there are actually 12 Snell ratings, plus DOT ratings.

:doh2: Doh! Thanks for the correction. Good thing I did't post that on the "other" forum. I would have gotten huge negative reps for that.....:rolleyes:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you care about style alone, then you can buy a helmet online. If you take the time to try some on, you will find they all fit differently, esp the full face models. Some ppl like the fit of Bell, some Arai, etc. I have a Bell shaped head. LOL Make sure to get the correct size, also, which includes a baclava on the head if you plan to wear one. Carry your sunglasses and see how easy it is to put them on if you prefer that to a visor. Visibility is a factor in full face designs, as is ventilation. Etc...see how easy this is?

PS-Jay Leno has an Arai head...

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you care about style alone, then you can buy a helmet online. If you take the time to try some on, you will find they all fit differently, esp the full face models. Some ppl like the fit of Bell, some Arai, etc. I have a Bell shaped head. LOL Make sure to get the correct size, also, which includes a baclava on the head if you plan to wear one. Carry your sunglasses and see how easy it is to put them on if you prefer that to a visor. Visibility is a factor in full face designs, as is ventilation. Etc...see how easy this is?

PS-Jay Leno has an Arai head...

good point. When i first started riding motorcycles i just grabbed the cheapest HJC helmet to get me started without even trying on the more expensive HJC's or other brands. Two years later i invested in a mid-range KBC Helmet and let me tell you the differance was night & day. It was comfortable, lighter, and most importantly, more aerodynmic. With the HJC i felt like i was hitting a wall at 100+mph. The KBC cut throught the air like butter with much less wind resistance making for a quieter more comfortable ride. Sure we dont have to worry about aerodynamics with 4-wheel trackdays, but you get the point?

This also remindes me of ski boots. Go in a ski shop and try on all the brands: atomic/ K2/ Rossignol/ Solomon/ head
I guarantee that some of the brands will fit to your foot better than the others. A good Boot tech at the higher end shops can make reccomendations on what brands to start with just by looking at the shape of your foot.

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I car race in Simpson and motorcycle race in Arai and in my distant past - Shoei.

Does Arai make a car helmet?

G

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I car race in Simpson and motorcycle race in Arai and in my distant past - Shoei. Does Arai make a car helmet? G

ABSOLUTELY ! The best in the world, really.....

when investing in a helmet now, be sure to NOT buy a SA-2000 closeout. Those will be "expired" in many sanctioining bodies in 2011 season after SA2010 debuts this Fall.

If you are an autocrosser NO PROBLEM, SA-1995, SA-2000, etc......many autocross clubs "inherit" the Racer hand-me-downs every 5 years as SA ratings expire.

IF you somehow get an SA 2010 already... Only FLEA-BAY has em! They put new stickers on 1995 product.....

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
"May THE FORCE be with you, Luke Skywalker!"

my God..... that poor man has a ****** on his face!!:omg:

Exact Copy of OCTO-MOM's......

Yea, I saw that picture when I looked at the Bandit site. I thought it was too scary to post, figured it would scare away prospective members. :rolaugh: After seeing it no one can really take Bandit Helmets seriously. :crazy2:

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy