HELP! Electronic throttle control light - limp mode - running rough - won’t start

GreatWhiteKAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I’m driving around last night, and all the sudden the “electronic throttle control” light comes on, the “lightning bolt” and check engine light come on, car loses all throttle response but was still running. Albeit very rough at idle, bouncing from 500 to 1000.

After a quick Google search I thought maybe battery connection, so, I disconnected and reconnected. Tried to start again and it cranked and cranked and cranked and then barely started (not normal)

It ran but again very rough idle, sounded weak and would only go up to 2000rpm or so, so, I limped it to a shop down the street. (Unfortunately not a viper shop of course)

Any ideas what I might be looking at? Internet seems to think cam/crank position sensor, throttle control relay, throttle body wire came unplugged/loose, 02 sensor, bad battery…. The list goes on and of course all of those are for Gen 3/4 since there’s zero info online for Gen 5’s

The only other thing worth mentioning was about an hour before this happened, the throttle surged. I was in 3rd at 3500ish and the throttle surged 3 quick times like as if I was tapping the gas pedal quickly. Then it ran fine. No CEL’s or anything.

Let me know what to do! No actual dodge dealer viper techs in MN either these days as far as I know.