It only make financial sense to purchase a Viper now

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which is kind of ironic, since the tone around here seems to be dismay at the current state of Viper values.....guess time will tell.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear Kelly,

I think that tone is because of the current state of the economy; people's discretionary spending habits have changed, but as the study says, its a 5 year market they are viewing. This "blip" in our economy will pass and the soft prices we are seeing in the Viper market will strengthen up again. It's a buyers market and I hope to be buying my 2nd Viper in the next 6 months.

Regards,
Aaron

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its good to see the Viper being in the top 10. I am sure over time it will climb up to an even higher number. Especially the Gen1 and GenII. Those will always be great American Sports cars, not excluding the gen III or the current Gen 4. It helps that they are not mass produced like most cars are.

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering that a '95 had MSRP of $56K, current selling prices at $30K is very strong. 13+ years old with greater than 50% retention value on an American car. That's almost unheard of. Most American cars tank hard at 10 years old.

xlrashn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I totally agree with you Aaron!

I am looking to purchase an SRT10 Truck possibly as well. The prices are great for a buyer now.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only is the economy playing a role in all of the soft viper sales, but I also think it has a lot to do with who might have purchased one of these great machines. If you take joe schmoe off the street just wanting to have a viper so he can say he has one, when it comes time for him to sell it, he is not really going to care as much about the true value of the car. Who knows the true reason, I might just be speculating. In any case, I have been looking at making my commute more enjoyable; hence, I have been contemplating about getting an SRT10. I saw a one owner 2003 on ebay willing to part with it for 42,000. That is 6,000 less than what I paid for my one owner 99 RT/10 2.5 years ago.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want big bucks for my 08 when I win the raffle. Good to see they hold thier value, but that is not the reason I purchased one.

Bruce

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think that some of you might be misled, or not be interpreting the article accurately.

This article has Nothing to do with Gen 1 & 2 or any used car for that matter. The analysis is based on: If you wanted to buy a New car , and comparing the resale value of New cars after 5 years.

A comparison used cars from say 1990-2000 being analized the same way (buy and hold for 5-year) would yield Much Much different results with stuff like Gen1&2 Vipers, Miatas, Hondas on the top of the list.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think that some of you might be misled, or not be interpreting the article accurately.

This article has Nothing to do with Gen 1 & 2 or any used car for that matter. The analysis is based on: If you wanted to buy a New car , and comparing the resale value of New cars after 5 years.

A comparison used cars from say 1990-2000 being analized the same way (buy and hold for 5-year) would yield Much Much different results with stuff like Gen1&2 Vipers, Miatas, Hondas on the top of the list.
I can see your point. I didnt catch the part where they meant the new cars. So I take it of course that means as of now the resale value for 2008 cars? Of course Vipers are going to be top of the list. I would think it would be higher. Maybe if they had the ACR there.

The thing is how do they know what the resale value will be 5 years down the road. They have to be basing it off of something, and that would be from the previous years of the cars, how there resale value has been throughout the years. just my 2 cents.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
definitely a buyers market for sure. I picked up my very first Viper (98 GST) a couple of days ago...

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's great that it's number 8 holding it's value, It's also number one on most expenseive to maintain. Thank goodness I love this car!

KURT E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Read further, on the next page they list the Viper as the most expensive car to maintain over a 5 year period. They estimate over $10,000 for a five year span. I dont get to drive enough to have an opinion on that, but, that seems a little steep to me.

Kurt E

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read further, on the next page they list the Viper as the most expensive car to maintain over a 5 year period. They estimate over $10,000 for a five year span. I dont get to drive enough to have an opinion on that, but, that seems a little steep to me.

Kurt E

yeah but look on the bright side.... WE'RE #1!!!! WE'RE #1!!!!! :bounce:

Almost as good as being #1 at the 'Ring! (not really) :D

On average per mile driven, my Viper is the cheapest to maintain...and even if I count the 2 minor scrapes I had repaired.... it was less than $3k total. The problem is they've probably averaged all the Gen2 hoods with a crack that totalled out the whole car. :lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kurt E

Based on getting maintenanced by a typical dealer. Of course that's what they need to base it on.

Obviously however, an informed owner and responsibly-driven Viper won't cost 2K a year to maintain.