Mobil 1 0W40 European spec ???

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I went to 2 well known parts houses and tried to buy Mobil 1 0W40. The containers said European spec. I looked on the back and it said it was formulated for BMW, Mercedes & Porsche. It also was missing the AP certification seal like all the other weights did have. I did not buy it. The parts guy was at a loss to expalin it. Doesn't Mobil 1 make a 0W40 other than the Eurpoean spec? :dunno:

OP
OP
M

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I went to 2 well known parts houses and tried to buy Mobil 1 0W40. The containers said European spec. I looked on the back and it said it was formulated for BMW, Mercedes & Porsche. It also was missing the AP certification seal like all the other weights did have. I did not buy it. The parts guy was at a loss to expalin it. Doesn't Mobil 1 make a 0W40 other than the Eurpoean spec? :dunno:

I went to the Mobil 1 website and found this after I posted:

Question: Is Mobil 1 0W-40 Appropriate for American-Built Vehicles?I own a Dodge SRT 10 and use the recommended Mobil 1 0W-40 synthetic oil. When it came time for the next oil change all I could find was the European formula. Is that the same as the recommended oil that I should be using?
You must be registered for see images
Answer: All bottles of Mobil 1 0W-40 carry the phrase "European Car Formula." This does not mean the product should only be used in vehicles of European origin. Mobil 1 0W-40 is the perfect choice for any vehicle requiring a 40 grade motor oil with outstanding wear protection.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have asked this same question before in fact I may have e-mailed Mobil with the question and answer you cited: The short answer is that it is within OEM spec to use the "European Formula" Mobil 0w40 motor oil.

/Rich

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason they call it "European Formula" is because it meets the VW 502 00 and 505 00 spec, as well as the BMW Longlife-02 spect, and a few other european manufacturer specifications.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This question was posed a while back here on the forum, the consensus is that this is the same oil just packaged differently. I contacted Mobil as well and they confirmed that this is the appropriate oil for the Viper:2tu:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beltfed