New Viper mag thrown in trash today by me.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the mail out of the box opposite side of road. Paged through and dumped into the trash my side that hadn't been picked up yet. I know the cover said VIPER but inside there was some mud or dirt racing. Boat racing. A model boat not a model car. Some dipstick guy and a challenger with Jay Lenno doing some ricer thing or other. Some Dopy Nopi stuff and an a-hole wasting an ugly green Viper for sh-ts and giggles doing some pre-teen ricer drifting or something. Yeah I know its not a VIPER anymore but some srt thing. I think its time to dump JR Thompson and find someone that will do Viper articles/news. Skip the glossy stuff and the BS. We want Viper. Viper only. Newsprint would be just fine. GTS Bruce Write when a VIPER goes back to Lemans or the ALMS in GT-1.:drive:

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was trying to be positive in a previous post, but was thinking the same thing. I think it had some nice photos, but was the worst overall issue I have ever seen and I do have every previous issue.

Donuts4me9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
outch... I thought that this magazine really showed the enthesuasm of viper owners. Also there were many wonderful events that the Viper community took part in. The Car and the community really shines through with this issue.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I kind of agree. I thumbed through it in 5 minutes. Nothing really interesting. They really need to spend a bit more time on the car itself - maybe some how to's or VCA member cars. Last one wasnt bad since they went into detail on the development of the 08 engine.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unbelievable, I thought it was the best yet. And if it's got a Viper engine in it I'm interested regarding the offroad and Boat stuff. Read the dang thing for the first time, really read it and you will see the Viper connection in every article.
Let's take it page by page.
Front cover OK? Nice Viper?
Inside cover....ad for Charger SRT8..I own a 300CSRT8 so I like that stuff.
Page 3 Contents Index no big beal
Page 4 Archer ad..All Viper
Page 5 Mike Accavetti Editorial (Guy is a huge friend of Viper) talks about VOI. Column is 90% Viper, he mentions Challenger at the end. Fine by me I'm interested, might buy one.
Page 6 Paxton ad/Paxton dealers All Viper
Page 6 Letters All Viper related
Page 7 VCA goods. All Viper, some cool stuff I had not seen yet.
Page 8 Editorial Kipp Owen/ SRT Chief..ACR/Challenger, and yes he led off with the 1/2 finish and 6 of top 8 positions at Daytona. I thought I would never like Nascar but I watched that finish and I was jumping all over the room rooting for Mopar Blue at the end of that race.
Page 10 &11 Belle Isle Viper Gathering
Page 12 13 VOI 10
Page 14-17 The Off road deal with Viper Power. Nobody thought it was fascinating to read why the motor we love would do so well off road? I had no clue and was fascinated.
Page 18-19 That boat with two Viper motors did not turn anyone on? F16 Canopies and Viper motors!
Page 20-21 Ahh, yes, drifting. I don't get it but it's certainly about a Viper.
Page 22-23 Herb Helbig...These two pages are beyond obvious from a historical point.
Page 24-25 More drifting...Hey, ther's a Viper in it. And Leno, it held my interest.
Page 26 Viper Plant Manager. This ain't about Vipers?
Page 27-29 Our loyal editor goes to Nevada. Could there be more Viper pictures?
Page 30-35 Could there ever be more beautiful photography with Vipers in it? I want to see that place before I die. Amazing
Page 36-37 Chryslers at Carlisle. Lot's of Viper pics including the cool guy next to the Yellow GTS!
Page 39 Herb Helbig advice. How many manufacturers would let Herb or the other engineers be this frank? The discussion is certainly about the Viper
Page 39 Viper ads
Page 40 Viper Trans lube article
Page 41 HRE Viper ad
Page 42 Viper collectible ad
Page 43-45 Viper days
Page 46 Ugly pictures of VCA Officers with contact inf.
Page 47 Viper ads
Page 48 Viper garages
Page 49 Viper article with Maurice and a nice licence plate on a Gen 2 plus events calendar
Page 50 Viper jokes, I really liked this one, funny stuff.
Page 51 Viper ads, more Viper events calendar
Page 52 Some Viper pics, anyone who spent more thasn a second on the Viper boat when they could have looked at Ashley.......But there were 4 Viper pics on the page.
Page 53 Viper days ad and more Viper calendar
Page 54 Viper event
Page 55 Viper ads
Page 56 Viper articles/ads
Page 57 Viper ads
Page 58 Viper garage article
Page 59 Viper ads
Page 60 Viper drifting accident, neat photo montage and it IS a Viper + Big's license palte
Page 61 Viper ads
page 62 Viper article
Back cover inside Viper dealers
Back cover Mobil one ad specific to Viper

HOW THE HECK CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY SAY THE MAGAZINE DID NOT DEAL WITH VIPER ENOUGH?

Last edited:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree with lee. i see ALOT of viper-related items in the magazine, and i really appreciate the opportunity to have my car mentioned on page 60. sure some items are not directly viper related, but i like to read and learn about "other" things like the viper-powered boat and the viper-powered off road vehicle for instance.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it's not covered in garbage, pull it out of the trash and send it to 98ViperGTS, he's looking for an extra copy. ;)

I haven't read mine yet, I was reading through VCA Notes to see what's goin' on with the various regions, etc. Always neat to see what the other chapters have done or are doing. Based on Lee's review, I'm lookin' forward to tearin' the plastic off the Viper mag though.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unbelievable, I thought it was the best yet. And if it's got a Viper engine in it I'm interested regarding the offroad and Boat stuff. Read the dang thing for the first time, really read it and you will see the Viper connection in every article.
Page 5 Mike Accavetti Editorial (Guy is a huge friend of Viper) talks about VOI. Column is 90% Viper, he mentions Challenger at the end. Fine by me I'm interested, might buy one.
Page 8 Editorial Kipp Owen/ SRT Chief..ACR/Challenger, and yes he led off with the 1/2 finish and 6 of top 8 positions at Daytona. I thought I would never like Nascar but I watched that finish and I was jumping all over the room rooting for Mopar Blue at the end of that race.
Page 12 13 VOI 10
Page 14-17 The Off road deal with Viper Power. Nobody thought it was fascinating to read why the motor we love would do so well off road? I had no clue and was fascinated.
Page 18-19 That boat with two Viper motors did not turn anyone on? F16 Canopies and Viper motors!
Page 22-23 Herb Helbig...These two pages are beyond obvious from a historical point.
Page 24-25 More drifting...Hey, ther's a Viper in it. And Leno, it held my interest.
Page 30-35 Could there ever be more beautiful photography with Vipers in it? I want to see that place before I die. Amazing
Page 39 Herb Helbig advice. How many manufacturers would let Herb or the other engineers be this frank? The discussion is certainly about the Viper
Page 39 Viper ads
Page 41 HRE Viper ad
Page 43-45 Viper days
Page 47 Viper ads
Page 48 Viper garages
Page 49 Viper article with Maurice and a nice licence plate on a Gen 2 plus events calendar
Page 52 Some Viper pics, anyone who spent more thasn a second on the Viper boat when they could have looked at Ashley.......But there were 4 Viper pics on the page.
Page 54 Viper event
Page 55 Viper ads
Page 57 Viper ads
Page 59 Viper ads
Page 60 Viper drifting accident, neat photo montage and it IS a Viper + Big's license palte
Page 61 Viper ads
page 62 Viper article

HOW THE HECK CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY SAY THE MAGAZINE DID NOT DEAL WITH VIPER ENOUGH?

LEE, i agree..... :)

KERS-VPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Page 12 13 VOI 10
Page 39 Viper ads
etc,etc,etc

what was on pages 36, 37 and 38?:lmao:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will always be someone who complains no matter what. You can't please everyone all of the time.

I personally enjoyed this issue. :dunno:

yellowvipergts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee, you forgot to mention pages 36 & 37. What a great spread on the Vipers at Carlisle event! We were honored to have that event shown in the Viper magazine! :)

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Lee and the others.. This was my fist mag. since becoming a Venom VCA member. And it was nice to see in the mail, along with my badges. sorry others did not agree.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Page 12 13 VOI 10
Page 39 Viper ads
Page 41 HRE Viper ad
Page 43-45 Viper days
Page 47 Viper ads
Page 48 Viper garages
Page 54 Viper event
Page 55 Viper ads
Page 57 Viper ads
Page 59 Viper ads
Page 61 Viper ads
page 62 Viper article

Hey Lee! I got married in that suit! LOL

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I loved the photography of our out-West geography with VIPERS. Some of the best.
Lee's outline made me go back and read a bit more... I give this issue a 10 on pix, and an 8 on content

One disappointment: VCA NOTES was designed and intended to come out 6-8 times per year, in the months when NO Viper Mag comes out. This was planned to give members a "monthly fix" of Viper enthusiasm. This month, I got VCA Notes and Viper Mag in the same week...so nothing til July?

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, you forgot to mention pages 36 & 37. What a great spread on the Vipers at Carlisle event! We were honored to have that event shown in the Viper magazine! :)

Sorry about that, I was moving too fast, flipping pages and typing, must have turned the page too quick. Snappy picture of that guy in the yellow shirt next to the yellow GTS though! :D
I edited my post to reflect the addition.

viperv10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gees rip those pages out if noone likes the issue..... I liked the boat theres nothing like horse power in a BOAT trust me I know......

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course we had kind of a vested interest in this issue (expected a blurb and a pic or two published), but was actually surprised to see the number of not only VCA members, but people from this very forum! Okay, get ready for one of my minor lectures... ;)

What you may forget is that VIPER magazine is NOT a VCA publication - not even close. Yet we always get some great (and free) publicity for our members, not to mention the mugs of the regional presidents in every issue. So who funds the bulk of VIPER magazine? Chrysler/SRT, of course. Like the Viper Owner Invitationals, these are funded largely from their marketing budget. Why? Because the Viper is a halo vehicle designed to help sell other Chrysler products. Don't know what a "halo" vehicle is? From the folks at Wikipedia:

Halo vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chrysler knows that the Viper is not for everybody - not by a long shot. But they also know that a lot of folks that would love to own a Viper one day will then consider some of the "little brothers" such as the entire SRT line (all high-performance vehicles with enhanced looks). Indeed, they will stop by a Dodge dealer to see the latest Viper (usually with cameras) and discover the Avenger for the first time or buy a new Dodge Ram. And guess what? That is the ONLY reason the Viper came to life in the first place. It was never designed to be a high-volume vehicle, but was an "advertising platform" to sell all of the other high-volume Chrysler products that were. Rather than a Superbowl ad or two, they created a legendary car that would represent the creativity and drive of a great American car company.

Well, it's now 16 years after the first Viper was built. The rumors of its demise are rampant as usual. Some say the value as a halo has been diminished because Chrysler no longer tries to capitalize on it (Le Mans anyone?). Others say it needs a more radical design befitting the original RT/10. Motor Trend just said this in their May issue: "Axing the Viper won't save Chrysler a ton of money and would probably only generate a ton of negative publicity. Bottom line? Don't count the Viper out, yet."

So should Chrysler/SRT kowtow to a few diehard Viper owners that demand attention for their decade-old vehicles and haven't purchased a Chrysler product since? Certainly no disrespect to any Gen I/II owners, as we will own another GTS at some point ourselves. But the absolute fact is that no other major manufacturer shows as much respect to a select group of owners, both old and new, as does Chrysler/SRT. To show a little respect in return just might help guarantee the Viper's future. I know that I will eagerly listen to other Chrysler product pitches at VOI if they choose to do them. And I will continue to buy their products as a direct result. My son's Caliber SRT4 is the hit of his college campus - the kind of product exposure Chrysler is thrilled to get. And for me a very small price to pay to help ensure the Viper is around for many years to come.

So to JRT and the editors of VIPER magazine, great job! And to the fine folks at Chrysler/SRT that make it all possible - many, many heartfelt thanks from the entire Viper nation. Well, almost. :D

PS. That cover shot was done with a point-and-shoot camera at +/-187 kilohectares an hour from over the windshield of a 2005 Viper SRT10. Darn metric system. (lol)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I was a little disappointed that they couldn't manage to fit my car on the page with the rest of them.....:D

I also thought this was a great issue, even if my hood has a staple in it:2tu:

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading Lee's post, I am going to have to go back and read it again. Frankly, I cannot complain. My car is on the cover and I was quoted from one of my comments on the Forum. Maybe next issue they can have a close up of me in my viper on the cover:D

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took the mail out of the box opposite side of road. Paged through and dumped into the trash my side that hadn't been picked up yet. I know the cover said VIPER but inside there was some mud or dirt racing. Boat racing. A model boat not a model car. Some dipstick guy and a challenger with Jay Lenno doing some ricer thing or other. Some Dopy Nopi stuff and an a-hole wasting an ugly green Viper for sh-ts and giggles doing some pre-teen ricer drifting or something. Yeah I know its not a VIPER anymore but some srt thing. I think its time to dump JR Thompson and find someone that will do Viper articles/news. Skip the glossy stuff and the BS. We want Viper. Viper only. Newsprint would be just fine. GTS Bruce Write when a VIPER goes back to Lemans or the ALMS in GT-1.:drive:
Well said Bruce and the cover just shows someone cruising down the road when it should of high lighted a huge event, VOI 10.........

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well said Bruce and the cover just shows someone cruising down the road when it should of high lighted a huge event, VOI 10.........

I'm sure there were/are still way too many details being worked out when this spring issue went to print to make an entire article about it. It would probably go something like this:

"VOI-10, where a bunch of stuff is going to happen in Detroit....we'll let you know in the SUMMER ISSUE what that stuff is going to be!". :D :D :D

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sure there were/are still way too many details being worked out when this spring issue went to print to make an entire article about it. It would probably go something like this:

"VOI-10, where a bunch of stuff is going to happen in Detroit....we'll let you know in the SUMMER ISSUE what that stuff is going to be!". :D :D :D
Correct. We didn't even know the pricing for VOI 10 until earlier this week and the schedule is still being finalized. Not to mention that there are no photos to post of VOI 10 on the cover - it hasn't happened yet.

Of course I am kinda partial to the cover photo myself as I know for a fact that he was not "cruising" at the time. It's definitely my favorite cover of all time! :2tu:

DEADEYE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think the magazine is good at what it was meant to be. I however get more out of mustang and rice magazines. These guys will get a hold of a motor and do a build that lasts a few issues. They'll take different mods and test them against each other. Imagine an article about Borla vs. Corsa. Bellanger vs. Hennessy headers. We wouldn't have the pickle debate! I'd like them to get a hold of an '08 and test it against a ZR1 and a ford GT just for kicks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceno