Parking brake button broke - $500 to fix !!!!!!!!!!

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
During the autocross at VOI8, the silver button from my parking brake split and shot away from the handle. Went to Dodge today and was quoted $500 for parts and labor. So I am asking if this weird thing has happened to anyone else and how did you fix it without putting in a whole new parling brake assembly.

Looking at the broken button, I am also not sure how the spring fits in it since I am considering supergluing it in. Ideas anyone?

5397HPIM0427-med.JPG

5397HPIM0428-med.JPG

5397HPIM0429-med.JPG

5397HPIM0430-med.JPG

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My button hasn't broken, but it does occasionally rattle/buzz in a most annoying manner.

Perhaps the aftermarket could fix both our problems.

P.S. That isn't covered under warranty?

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My lever decides how far back it'll go depending on what day it is,(same as my idle speed)but it always stops the car. Supermodels ...can't live without them!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Looks like it just slides onto a flat stock shaft. The spring is captive be virtue of the friction fit cap. I'd probably just use JB Weld epoxy, it would be stronger than new. Just don't get the epoxy all over the place! Use a cable tie to hold it while it sets up.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes Tom, I plan to bump that thread about twice a month. And it's not shameless, just cheap (like me). :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow Detlef you have the exact same things as me on the inside I thought I was looking at a pic of my car LOL

same cigg lighter
same shifter (thats my fav shifter)
same A/C knobs
had the same radio/deck (now i got a pioneer flip screen DVD)

Good ******** friend.

Sorry to hear about the parking brake.
Never seen that happen before.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fixing the buzz is no big deal. I can't comment on repairing the broken button.

To fix the buzz....remove the center console so that you can get under the brake handle's leather boot. You will see a long thin piece of metal that goes from the button to the ratchet mechanism. This sliver of metal is buzzing against the metal part of the handle. Simply take the soft side of a piece of velcro and adhere it to the handle between the handle and thin metal part that runs from the button. Buzz gone.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Matt.

However, I still like the idea of Dennis Kimball making us a billet button with Pete milled into the face of the button (like Dennis' lug nuts).

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread. My parking brake just broke at the same spot as the OP. Do anyone know if I can fix this or do I need to replace the whole thing?

OP
OP
D

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ended up getting it covered on my extended warranty back then. A whole new parking brake assembly, button, lever and cable ...

Would be nice to know if there is an easy DIY fix in case it happens again.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread. My parking brake just broke at the same spot as the OP. Do anyone know if I can fix this or do I need to replace the whole thing?

I have seen on ebay a few times full parking brake assemblies for just over $100. I actually had to do a little maintenance on mine the other day. The thing looks like a 6th grader can swap it out. A couple of bolts and you also have to separate the two cables from it (once you see this, it's easy trust me). You might ahve to take the cables off of the speed brakes themselves but that takes seconds as well. You could probably do a whole assembly, worst case scenario, in about 30-45 minutes depending if you have to disconnect at the brakes themselves.

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info 99VPRFTS. Our very own Mike 99RT/10 is going to sell me one that he has. I think I will replace it with a working one then work on the old one to see if I can find a way to fix it. I'll post on here what I find. Thanks again!

F

FrgMstr

This thread is for Plum. He will love that you necroed a 7 year old thread instead of making a new one. Good use of the search feature right there. Congrats.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Check for broken fan blades or mud on the blades. That will cause a vibration.

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread is for Plum. He will love that you necroed a 7 year old thread instead of making a new one. Good use of the search feature right there. Congrats.

you gotta love the search feature........It's far better than the wrath of Plum.:spank:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy