Sell 5 Spokes and go with a dedicated track rim/tire set-up?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Not a huge track person, and am thinking about getting more serious about it. Have an extra set of 5 spokes in excellent condition that I was going to use for tracking - but does it make sense to sell them and go with a lighter rim or rims in different size to accommodate a wider range of tire choices? If so what size rim and what tire would you recommend? Any guess on the value of the 5 spokes?

2009 Vert, head work, full 3" exhaust, intake work, pcm - 725ish hp - btw.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it is just for the occasional weekend once a month, I'd not advise doing any sort of race tires or wheels. It is better to learn on normal street tires, otherwise you'll end up wearing out a set of race tires in a single weekend. The more experienced you are, the smoother your lines will be, and the longer your race tires will last. By learning on street tires, you also get a better feel for the limits of the car, and weaknesses won't be masked by the extra grip of the race tire.

I see you have a convertible also. If you do get serious about road course racing, you might want to find a coupe.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this^^^^ you are in the same position I was in. Big mistake spending a bunch of money on wheels/tires right off the start. Learn the lines, learn the car and better yet maybe hire an instructor or have a friend. The biggest benefits at first will be learning not buying.

As far as sale on the 5 spokes about $3K seems to be the going rate with good tires.

Also I would love to know why your at 725hp??? I assume that is crank? Do you have any Dyno sheets for wheel hp? Would you mind if I PM'd you about the mods to your car as I am looking to do some of what you have??

GL

-Tim

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey John
I think a set of black OZ RACING wheels would look good on your car.
You could get a brand new set and still have $1000 to spend on tires.....:dunno:

Not to mention you will be able to keep your street wheels looking nice. Wheels at the track inevitably get scratched and looking
a little rough.
Especially if they are plastidipp'd...

FOViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get 18's all around. Much more tire options that are cheaper than the 19" rears

OP
OP
R

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Mike - great pics - One of the best looking Vipers ever in my humble opinion :D. Crazy as it sounds the Plastidip has held up really well on the 6 spokes. I was not a big fan of black wheels - but with my color combo - black was perfect (wheels are really dirty in those pics.) I really wanted a true black chrome finish - but have not found a place that will tackle the Viper size rims and I have not found a good powder coat that truly replicates black chrome. Some of the factory finishes are getting close though - so I'll need to take a look again.

I was originally going to get the 5 spokes black chromed as I thought that they would look better than the 6 spokes - but I really like how much rotor and caliper the 6 spoke show - hence my thought on selling the 5 spokes and buying a track set-up. So what size rims and tires would you guys recommend?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see you have a convertible also. If you do get serious about road course racing, you might want to find a coupe.

Why? The convert comea with factory roll bars....... at least thats what I told the tech guy at Robeling Roads after I hit 165......

:D

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are itching to buy, I'm here to help. :)

Best thing to do is determine which brand and sizes of tires you want to run, first. Then we can build wheels to fit them. The track guys seem to like 305 or 315 front tires, and the normal 345 rear tire width. You can fit 18s all around, or 19s.

Hooser R6 Tires
315/30-18 front with 11.0" width wheel
345/35-18 or 345/30-19 rear with 13.0 width wheel

I recommend Forgeline wheels. Something from this group (GA3R-6 was designed for Viper)
http://www.forgeline.com/products/competition-series/

Tony

Nixon's SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your 5 spokes are still in great condition, i would put those up for sale. They seem to pull the most money for a stock rim, next to ACR wheels. You will want a lighter wheel for tracking. I have ran ACR wheels, 5 spokes, and currently running SSR's 18's. I would listen to Mr. Tree Snake, he may know a little bit about getting around a track, in one piece is another story! Lighter and wider for turning works wonders. If you going in a straight line, get some light weight 18's with a sticky tire in the back

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why? The convert comea with factory roll bars....... at least thats what I told the tech guy at Robeling Roads after I hit 165......

:D

Hope you were kidding. The factory hoops are thin aluminum and if you rolled they would be about as helpful as wearing a baseball cap. Either get a real rollbar (Autoform) or a coupe. Re black chrome wheels, Cal Chrome does black chrome on Viper wheels.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FWIW.....
$2K for brand new set......

11" wide front so you can run 315s

Perfect for what you need them for.....:dunno:

I've got some R6s you can p/u next time you visit your son or better yet, next time he drives home....

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rocket, lot's of good posts/advice here. If you bought the 5 spokes for the track and their extra's sell them and get track wheels. Nice condition 5 spokes are worth 2K plus. Real track wheels are lighter and nearly everyone runs with 18"s in the rear. I think Forgelines are the best, but pricey. (I found a good used set for $2500, probably sold for $4500 new). As Treesnake said, OZ has a nice set up for around $2k I see a lot of them on the newer track vipers. Also, you want more tire up front, go with 18X11 which allow you to run 315's. for the rear the 345 X18's may be the best but I also run the 335's at some tracks. Little less tread but with a stock rear end you end up with a little more acceleration since the gearing with that shorter tires is the same as running 3:21's on a stock viper. Good luck! Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyder124