Stainless steel brake line help !!!

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my 04 SRT-10
Help, I just received Stainless Steel brake lines from Roe racing, took them to Butler Tire for installation. During the install the Brake mechanic called and said he needed a set of front brackets to attach to the lines, the factory ones wouldn’t work. I put him in touch with Sean Roe. Seems the mechanic had to fabricate brackets for the frontt lines. I’m starting to get uncomfortable. Then he says the rear factory fitting won’t thread to the stainless lines. He thinks that the fitting that came with the stainless is defective…. We searched for another similar fitting and were unable to find one. He (the brake mechanic) feels that he can over torque the fittings together and they will seal. Now I’m very very uncomfortable.. Butler Tire is supposed to be very good they work on performance cars daily. They did so and everything seems ok. But I’m scheduled for a PDX (Scca event) on Sunday.
The Kicker, Jack just returned from Viper Days. Archer racing was going to install stainless lines on his car. They told Jack that the Stainless lines only would fit on a Gen 3 with a special adaptor made to mate SS lines with the factory system..
Help I need advice, where do you get the adapter, why didn’t Sean Roe tell me about this…. The Mechanic has probably stripped the factory brake fittings and rendered the stainless ones unusable.:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have an SRT but I did install Big Brake Dave's SS lines on my RT/10 and they came with the adapters and were cake to install. Maybe Dave can help you with the adapters: Big Brake Kits

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think your problem is unique. There have been others report the exact same problems with brackets on the Gen 2 kits, but I can't say I've heard of the fitting leak issue. That sounds like a defective fitting.

Tony +1 here, as I have also spoken to Dave at Big Brakes about these issues, and he says his kits are different in a few ways. Like the brackets that work, and DOT certified hoses. According to Dave, the east coast kit, the hoses are not DOT.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, I had purchased my stainless lines on Ebay and had some difficulty determining how they went on. They came with the brackets, but looked different. A little head scratching and I figured it out. My shop is down on Buford Hwy if you wish to bring it here. No guarantee that I can fix it, but I have had experience with the stainless lines on mine. Do not let them overtorque the fittings. John

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave you can also give Chuck Tator a call. He did my stoptech lines. He did mention they were a bit different but went in without much fuss.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Dave. (Dave's Big Brakes) he suggest calling JonB and getting a set of stop- tech's for the gen III, removing the existing ones. I'm doing that, but still conserned with stripped fittings....:crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On Buford Hwy between North Druid hills rd and Lenox Rd. A little hole in the wall.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had a reply up, but am now editing it after getting all the info I needed between David, the hose manufacturer and Dave of Dave's Big Brakes. I have a good understanding of it now.

Sorry for the trouble David.
As I mentioned on the phone a few minutes ago, I'll do whatever it takes to make it right.

Regards,
Sean

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean Roe is in touch with the stanless brake line manufacturer, working on a solution. I hope to know something by Friday. When Sean runs into a problem like this, he throws a similar Viper on the rack and tries to duplicate the problem, therefore finding a solution. I still am worried that the guy at Butler messed up my factory fittings by over torqueing.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Put Stoptech's on two SRTs so far, no issues - easy install.

Got them from Parts Rack.

Dan

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put Stoptech's on two SRTs so far, no issues - easy install.

Got them from Parts Rack.

Dan

I put a set on mine also, and other than the left and right fronts being mislabled as to which side they really go on they fit up just fine.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come to think about it i think this was what i encountered.

I put a set on mine also, and other than the left and right fronts being mislabled as to which side they really go on they fit up just fine.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems I'm not going to resolve this before Sunday's Road Atlanta event. Too uncomfortable to track the car. Hopefully there will be another day. Spent a bunch preparing for this. Autoform hard top, MGW short throw shifter, Stainless brake lines and racing brake fluid. :(

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems I'm not going to resolve this before Sunday's Road Atlanta event. Too uncomfortable to track the car. Hopefully there will be another day. Spent a bunch preparing for this. Autoform hard top, MGW short throw shifter, Stainless brake lines and racing brake fluid. :(

Maybe it will rain that day, and you'll feel better then. :dunno:

At least you are taking a safe, intelligent approach to this. :2tu:

:usa:

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well that makes me feel like dirt....
If the installer was having trouble with the fitting on the driver side rear, he probably should have just left the rear lines stock. Wouldn't have canceled your weekend then.
The manufacturer is sending me a fitting that I will screw lines into and test to see if you got a fitting that was just machined wrong, had a burr, or whatever since we haven't received any other calls like that on the other sets. We've probably sent out 10 Gen3's in the last three months.
Could have just been a bad fitting. Hard for me or the manufacturer to say without being there.
Looks like I'll have to add that to my list of things to inspect personally before they go out.

OP
OP
C

CaptainDavid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, You did nothing wrong, Your supplier might hold some of the fault with their quality control. The brake lines themselves were as advertised, as you know the problem was with the fitment. The mechanic at Butler tires should never have forced the fittings, probably damaging the connectors on the hard lines. ( factory fittings) . It was the end of the day and almost quitting time. I’m sure they didn’t want to reinstall the factory brake lines. They rushed things. It’s my decision not to track the car. You’ve been a gentleman about this whole thing and I appreciate it. I would not hesitate to use products and services from Roe Racing in the future.
Bandit3 is going to help with this when he returns from vacation next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy