The Quest for 275 MPH

OP
OP
FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The ice boxes are located behind the rear wheels, 1 on each side. The cap to load them is inside the rear hatch. I estimate about 8 gals per side and we will use just water ice to start with. The future plan is to have coils inside the water tanks and run C02 thru the lines to chill the water. I would think we could get the water below freezing using that method. The turbos feed directly into the water to air intercoolers and the cold side pipes exit the intercoolers just behind the differential. Both hot side and cold side pipes run together down the side sill and are insulated from each other. It's about the only way to do it with the rear mounted turbos. The tunnel has so many hoses and lines in it there isn't much more room. The dry sump tank being in the rear requires (3) -16 lines, then the fuel is -12 with -10 return along with a few others. It's getting really crowded in the rear hatch but I think we are close to finishing back there.

OP
OP
FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
At this point every line/hose is connected, battery is wired up thru disconnect, nitrous lines, solenoids, and purge are completed. Plan is to start it up in next 7 to 9 days, let it go thru a few heat cycles and then shut it down. The following morning we will retorque the heads, have to do that because of the copper head gaskets. After that the dyno tune won't be far behind that and we will know where we are at on WHP and torque. Then it's a lot of little things to get
You must be registered for see images attach
it ready to run.
You must be registered for see images attach

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm reading how you have parts located/packaged in this car, it got me to wondering, what is an ideal weight bias in a car built to go the speeds you are looking to achieve? I'm sure some of the placement is just where things fit, but is weight distribution considered for anything more than how it effects your aero or suspension tuning?

OP
OP
FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
We definitely have added weight over the rear wheels and probably less weight up front. Stock Vipers are close to 50/50 already and I would guess we have changed that slightly. Most of the items were placed in their current location based completely on what the design required with the rear turbos. Once its finished we will get a wet weight and see how much we changed that weight bias. A little more weight on the rear wheels should not effect anything for the type of racing I do.

OP
OP
FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Very true, we will run some liquid that allows us to achieve temps below freezing. Probably be a little bit of an experiment to get the flow of C02 regulated correctly so we don't freeze the liquid to a solid. For our early testing we will just run water and ice and monitor the results.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember that liquid is going to freeze on the coils and start to reduce the heat transfer. Turbulent liquid flow around the coils will highly reduce icing but that also adds to wear on the coils (copper I'm assuming). The wear is very, very, very minor but still a factor. Adding a surfactant to the liquid well help too.

You can use windshield washer fluid as it contains surfactants to reduce surface tension of the liquid and is cheap on top of that too or you mix your own. Just confirm liquid compatible with your system components.

OP
OP
FST SNAKE

FST SNAKE

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing those numbers myself. If we finish in time to make a few passes in Arkansas it will mainly be used for shakedown. It will probably be 2025 before it's ready for a 275+ pass.