Tire Question

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long should one keep a set of tires on their Viper? I have an '01 with 15,300 miles on the tires. Now I hear a lot about the age of the tire and when to get rid of them. Just woundering what most people thought. Also, what does a set of 4 (the new tires on the stock '08's. not the ACR tire's) cost? I can't remember what the new tires are called.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
JonB at Online Shopping - Home sold me a set of PS2s for my car this spring. Unbelieveable performance compared to my PS1s even before they were junk at 4 years old.

The Ps2s also work excellent in rain. Runcraps cost me my first GTS by spinning out in the rain. I've had the PS2s at 80mph in a rainstorm already and didn't crash. Unbelievable stopping and track performance as well.

For prices figure $1500 plus two price increases since the spring already. Long live fuel costs and governments?????

Ted

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have an '01. I put my stock 01 wheels and tires on my car while it was in the shop. I didn't know how bad my 01 tires were until I got the car home and put my new Michelins back on. HUGE difference.

Retire those 01 tires as soon as you can. You won't regret it.

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 RT 10 with the same miles. 2 years ago I put new Pilot Sports on when I was in Vegas for VOI and wow, what a difference the age makes on the tires.

Now I have the Stryker Package and when the snow is gone in the spring I need to upgrade the tires and was wondering do I go with the PS2 or with Kumos? In 1st and 2nd gear the car is now a hand full and I
I do drive aggressively on the open roads here in Canada as well as some ¼ mile time and Auto Crossing on the odd weekend.

Are the PS2’s the way to go, or Cup Sports, Kumos etc? If it is raining then normally I will park the car but our road temperatures are only hot for a month or 2 so cold or warm tires are more common then hot tires.

If they only last 8000- 10,000 miles a set then I will be happy as safety/traction is a concern.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
DITCH the 2001 tires BEFORE they Ditch YOU. Tread does not matter, hardness-traction does.

Gen 2 18" Set PS2 under $1580.

Kumhos under $1100, but you WONT get 4000 miles on em, and they age and harden faster. Not good cold wx or rain.....

[SRT10 PS2 18-19" set of four under $1670/set.]

PS If your budget is SHOT you could possibly find a tire store that does SIPING. If you MUST drive hockey-puk-hard tires with GOOD TREAD, you can 'renew' the tread somewhat marginally by SIPING them. Thousands of razor-cuts are 'siped' into the rubber, intruducing tread squirm and surface area. This ruins the speed rating, and should NOT be done for even one track lap.....but to 'renew' some life if your budget is desperate, siping may be an option for you lurkers out there with minimal funds.........

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages between the Sport Cups and the new PS2 for the Gen 2 Viper?

Tim

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What are the advantages and disadvantages between the Sport Cups and the new PS2 for the Gen 2 Viper? Tim

MPSC: Sticky, Grippy, Expensive, dry-warm weather tire, less miles til gone, road-hazard perils.

PS2: Great 'compromise' tire with grippy shoulders, greater temp range, wet-safe, road-hazard safer, and saves about $250/set while going ++30% more miles.

PartsRack has BOTH models at VERY competitive prices.....thank you

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a set of PS2s from JonB this spring. Amazed at the improvement over 1s and runcraps. I've put 12,000 easy mi. (only 1 track day) on them already and wouldn't run anything else because each time I drive my Viper it's a minimium 1,000mi. trip.

Ted

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I am getting the PS2's. John I had sent an email to parts rack about ps2 tire prices for my '01 but it looks like I got my question answered sooner here!!!! :)

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of the Kumho's from JonB, and they stick great. You could 4000 miles on them if you aren't going to the track alot. My last set of rears lasted close to 5000, and this set has over 3000 with lots of "playing" on the street. The fronts have around 8000 and while plenty of tread left, they are losing some of their grip. Get a set from JonB and you won't have any traction problems!

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those who got tires from JonB, where do you take them to get mounted and balanced? Will local tire shops do this for you?

VPR RACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those who got tires from JonB, where do you take them to get mounted and balanced? Will local tire shops do this for you?

I also have the same question. I been quoted anywhere from $20 to $50 per wheel for mounting and balancing at my local shops.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It also depends on how YOU drive. Some people baby their cars, don't drive in any but the best of conditions, and don't "push the envelope". You can "make do" with older tires if you need to, but understand they are old and hard. Respect the torque and drive accordingly.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Most local tire shops that have $$$ invested in the Mount-balance machines that can do our rears, are HAPPY to have you as a Viper customer, even if its just mount-balance. The labor helps pay for the employee and the machine. AND:
--They LIKE having a Viper in their service area. Good for business!!
--They dont stock these sizes....and can bugger the selection: Viper can be confusing.
--Their employees LIKE and respect the car....they COULD be doing a Toyota Camry!
--Many tires stores even allow YOU to have PartsRack ship tires to THEM. EZ for YOU!
--The tire store will probably then earn your OTHER CAR business.....because they take good care of your Viper

$20 is CHEAP... $50 is 'normal' for a ROAD FORCE balance however, its is the best you can get.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How long should one keep a set of tires on their Viper?

As others have said it depends on how you plan to drive it. I don't drive aggressively and 3 of mine are the original tires with a DOT code on the sidewall of 1998. They have around 19k miles and the tread looks like they could go another 10k.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After about 4 or 5 years the HP tires are about as hard as rocks and don't wear any more, they just continue to dry out further and traction becomes about the same as a truck tire (skinny one.). I bought PS2s from Jonb and can't believe how much better they are than the 2 year old PS1s I had.

TED

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I pretty much dumped my savings buying another gen 1 a few months ago. It still had on the original tires ('94)!! rock hard and wasted!! I had the 2Gs ready for new tires and alignment but had to buy a new radiator/fan instead (broke the plug off the bottom - upgraded fan assy.).. There went my tire money. Decided to push my luck last weekend. I was 400 miles from home when the cords started to show up front!!! I wasted the spare going 100 miles to the closest city with the bad worst tire riding shotgun.... driving gently..
:crazy2:
I got lucky for sure and have learned my lesson for thoes who are now convinced I'm a total idiot..

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: