Water on floor board?

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looking at a 96GTS but he says that he is getting water on the floor board.....ideas?

Dash need to be removed to get to the hvac system inside?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think more information is needed.
I will be the first to ask, is it water or antifreeze? These cars are not 100% weather tight.

Not sure where the heater core is located, but most of the cabin air equipment is located in front of the firewall on the passenger side.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also make sure A/C drain is not plugged it can cause water inside. Had this problem on a 99 Jeep and it started to stink inside from some kind of moldy stuff. Dealer ended up replacing the interior to get rid of the smell.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can also sit in the car and have someone run a hose over the outside and see if you can see where the water is coming in assuming it is leak in the exterior of the car.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also make sure A/C drain is not plugged it can cause water inside.

also can leak from passenger hood speaker grill when washing, had the intermittent leak, then started putting a plastic bag under the grill before washing my r/t --> no more leak

hope it is that simple for you

:drive:

Reaction score
The door seal could also be bad or kinked. If it is the watter will follow it down to the bottom and then run along the support under the dash and drip from there making it hard to really isolate it.

OP
OP
V

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys....i figured if it was part of the heater/ac system it would be the heater core. I sent the woman to take a look at it because i got stuck in traffic and she couldnt really tell me much more than there was water on the floor board.

Im going to look at it today and see what i come back with.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The duck bill valve under the airbox on the passenger side of the engine sometimes sticks shut, and if it does, water accumulates until it overflows into the passenger footwell.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm also searching for a mystery leak. Talked to Tator and another spot to check is under the cowl, check the area under the wiper arm shaft.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the interior has that sickly sweet smell, it's antifreeze and most likely the heater core. If it's just water and the car hasn't gotten wet recently, the cause is probably the AC drain plug getting plugged up or it's discharge hose disconnected/broken. If the car was wet recently, well, these cars are definitely not leak proof...

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 72 Dart in college that had the same problem. I fixed it by putting a piece of plywood on the floor (the floor had rusted through). Used some duct tape around the edges, bought a cheap K-Mart floor mat and just like new. :2tu:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 72 Dart in college that had the same problem. I fixed it by putting a piece of plywood on the floor (the floor had rusted through). Used some duct tape around the edges, bought a cheap K-Mart floor mat and just like new. :2tu:

So funny! I once had to do a similar repair to a '70 240Z.....
- J

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If is it the heater core---5.5 hours of labor and slightly more labor for recharging the AC if necessary, plus the cost of the part. With that amount of labor, I would only purchase an original Dodge heater core. The "water" on the floor will have a greasy-slippery feel to it if it is coolant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy