When is a Viper not a Viper?

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the possible sale of the Viper product (just like everyone here), and was wondering what some of you think about whether a Viper built by anyone other than Dodge is still a true Viper. I'm sure it's happened in the past, but the only example that immediately comes to my mind is the Avanti.

I ask this because, why it is reasonable that the Viper could be duplicated or even improved by a new owner, part of what makes it special is its history and significance to Dodge. There are other threads conjecturing who might buy Viper, but the question I'd like to focus on here is whether, as Mr. Shakespeare eloquently writes, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet".

So, what do you all think - will a BrandX Viper still be a true Viper? What about a completely new BrandX designed Gen5 Viper?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was Ferrari that bought Viper then the price and values would go upwards. It's also likely that they would go to a quad valve or perhaps a 3 valve head to improve hp.

If it becomes faster - it's still a Viper as long as it's built in North America.

Built in Germany ... anybodies guess, but value would probably go up if quality and performance did. But it would no longer be North American Muscle if it wasn't built in North America.

Ted

93 Cobra R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid more harm than good will come out of the Viper name being taken over. If it's taken over, I see it becoming only more corvette-like. That being the case, cut off its head.

Let it be martyred and let it become legend. Then, may the Viper be forever revered for being the automotive gladiator of our time.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bottom line: A Viper is not a Viper as soon as the name Dodge is not part of it, and the SRT group that designs it is not part of it. They are what keeps it true to itself. Basically, the heart is different although it has the same body.

Although this cannot be said for all Viper owners, but part of the reason we bought the car is becuase it is a Dodge. For me, Dodge runs in my blood. I live it, breath it, and live for it. New or old, truck or car, it is part of Mother Mopar and the Viper sits at the top of the food chain. Would I have bought it if it was a Chevy, Ford or Ferrari, no.

If it is sold, is is still considered a Chrysler product? No. Potentially, that could hurt it from brand loyalties. Is it bad for the Viper nameplate itself? Depends on the buyer. New people may become interested in it becuase it is not a Dodge (think corvette people;)). Looking at others, was Land Rover or Jag ever really considered a Ford? Or now, is it considered Indian?

It is hard to say.....:dunno: Lets just hope it never gets that far for us to find out.:(

Robert

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is:

V-10
An elemental sports car
A domestic exotic
The best sports car value for the $(especially for those that wont own a vette)
USA built specifically Detroit !

A Viper is NOT:

luxury or GT car
full of electronic nannies
for everyone

OP
OP
V

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good points. One of the things I loved and would show off on my '93 was the glove box sticker that read: "Designed, Built, and Manufactured in the Motor City USA by Team Viper". It always gave me a sense of American pride to show that. (Do the new ones still have this?) I even love that my GT500 dashboard lights up red/white/blue when you fire it up. If Viper goes to any non-US company, it won't interest me any longer.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Viper is:

V-10
An elemental sports car
A domestic exotic
The best sports car value for the $(especially for those that wont own a vette)
USA built specifically Detroit !

A Viper is NOT:

luxury or GT car
full of electronic nannies
for everyone

Interesting comments, since the first V10 rumors were that it was made by Lamborghini and then it was merely a 360 V8 with two cylinders added. When it arrived, everyone complained about leaking gaskets, cylinder sleeves, and core shift. Overall, not that impressive at the time.

Also (not to poke you or anyone in the eye) I'll bet the car in your avatar has a few more luxuries, nannies and gizmos than the original car. ABS anyone? Throttle by wire?

For everyone? Boo. Disagree. Anyone with enough will can buy one tomorrow, and I say that meaning you don't have to wait in line for a year like Ferrari. Maybe that comment needs a little modification.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the Viper leave's Dodge, CAAP and SRT's hands it's no longer a Viper.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as the Viper leave's Dodge, CAAP and SRT's hands it's no longer a Viper.

Not necessarily. Manufacturers buy other manufacturer's vehicles all the time, maybe tweaking the cosmetics, then rebrand as their own. The Viper product line sale could be something similar, wherein a third-party like Roush or Penske buys it and handles the manufacturing but then sells the cars to Dodge to brand, market, and sell and maintain through their dealer network - which might not really make a difference at all. Currently many of the Viper components are made by someone else, e.g., the body panels, etc., the body panels and striping are done by third parties, etc. - so the concept I mentioned here would just be taking things a not-necessarily-significant step further - have a third party finish up the actual assembly as the "owner" and "sell" the cars to Dodge to brand, etc.