Where to locate trickle charger

Kennymac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m looking for advice on placement of a trickle charger. The battery access is behind the left rear wheel, is it best to leave the panel off and replace it when it’s taken out or what’s the go to method. I’m in Texas, so there will be lots of winter driving time but we all know how they act when not charged properly. I’m thinking that a pig tail attached to the battery is the way to go. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2146.jpeg
    IMG_2146.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1

Shal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plugged in a cigarette lighter extension with 3 additional socket and placed it under passenger seat. I plug in a Schumacher (1.5 Amp) trickle charger to this socket.

Has been working well to keep the battery charged for many years now. I ready this trick on some forum and opted for it so that I dont have to pop the hood or do any fancy wiring to the battery.

OP
OP
Kennymac

Kennymac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plugged in a cigarette lighter extension with 3 additional socket and placed it under passenger seat. I plug in a Schumacher (1.5 Amp) trickle charger to this socket.

Has been working well to keep the battery charged for many years now. I ready this trick on some forum and opted for it so that I dont have to pop the hood or do any fancy wiring to the battery.
Cool. I’ll check that out. Seems super simple. I appreciate the help

OP
OP
Kennymac

Kennymac

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under the hood on the Left near Wash fluid reservoir there is a + and - Post you can attach it to.
I know about that but can a trickle charger be connected to it? It seems to me that it would be fine, however, I’ve seen posts saying it’s a bad idea, but they don’t say why. Can you tell me why it’s a bad idea? I can’t think of any reason not to use it.

efnfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know about that but can a trickle charger be connected to it? It seems to me that it would be fine, however, I’ve seen posts saying it’s a bad idea, but they don’t say why. Can you tell me why it’s a bad idea? I can’t think of any reason not to use it.
That's where mine's attached to. I don't see any issues with it.

What they might be referring to is if you use a ring terminal on the + stud rather than the alligator clips. If you use a ring terminal you have to spin the nut off the + stud, which can cause the stud to spin and short your electrical system and give you a very bad day.