96 GTS is this a Corsa Exhaust circa 1999?

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 99 has Billy Boat. Not sure when it was installed, but it doesn't look like their newest stuff. I'm guessing it's in the ball park of those earlier years.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked at a bunch online and seems the Corsa is the one that has the resonators @ the tips.

My 99 has Billy Boat. Not sure when it was installed, but it doesn't look like their newest stuff. I'm guessing it's in the ball park of those earlier years.
Is it 3 inch? Does it have an H or X pipe?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking it's not homemade, previous owner spent $40k on mods/upgrades, however it's possible he may have had the tips modded which brings into question the resonators. Also, some of the parts that came with the car included some fancy trick exhaust tips that may or may not be Viper parts (but they had to exist in 2001.)

RE: These Parts Tips: 1) Either these were the tips he removed or 2) were tips he was going to put on. Since these tips neck down to 2.5" may have had them removed for full 3" all the way. Maybe the resonators were added.

These tips are 3" inlet but the tip necks down to 2.5" for a major pulse reflection and then there is the 4" outer tip that has more tricks I suppose.

Attachments

• 20221015_175225.jpg
    20221015_175225.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked at a bunch online and seems the Corsa is the one that has the resonators @ the tips.

Is it 3 inch? Does it have an H or X pipe?
Looked like 3" when I was up under the car, didn't measure it. Stainless cat delete with resonators. The resonators are towards the front of the sill cover, and there is no X or H pipe.

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking it's not homemade, previous owner spent $40k on mods/upgrades, however it's possible he may have had the tips modded which brings into question the resonators. Also, some of the parts that came with the car included some fancy trick exhaust tips that may or may not be Viper parts (but they had to exist in 2001.)

RE: These Parts Tips: 1) Either these were the tips he removed or 2) were tips he was going to put on. Since these tips neck down to 2.5" may have had them removed for full 3" all the way. Maybe the resonators were added.

These tips are 3" inlet but the tip necks down to 2.5" for a major pulse reflection and then there is the 4" outer tip that has more tricks I suppose.
it looks very "homemade". I mean a shop likely did it, but it's "custom"

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mandrel bends are perfect so I'm thinking it was a complete system but Wayne decided to mod the pipes. Those ends are evidence he was thinking about "end mods."
Definitely could be the case. somebody added some flow master outlaws to mine at some point. Sounds good, perfectly functional, but the welds set off my ocd lol. The whole system has beautiful welds...then you get to the ugly stuff some rando shop did.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&B had an x-pipe in the rear and tips that look similar to Borla/Mopar but without a logo.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
B&B had an x-pipe in the rear and tips that look similar to Borla/Mopar but without a logo.
Definitely B&B tips, and the rest of the system is very similar, but not exactly the same as their newest stuff. Not surprised given this was probably installed over 20 years ago. I'm also not surprised somebody modified the exhaust and added mufflers. She a screamer with these flow master outlaws, kind of wonder what it sounded like with only resonators. I was just offering up a possible idea to the OP since B&B wasn't listed with the guesses.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely could be the case. somebody added some flow master outlaws to mine at some point. Sounds good, perfectly functional, but the welds set off my ocd lol. The whole system has beautiful welds...then you get to the ugly stuff some rando shop did.
Yep, the welds on the resonators are not up to "manufactured kit" quality.
Definitely B&B tips, and the rest of the system is very similar, but not exactly the same as their newest stuff. Not surprised given this was probably installed over 20 years ago. I'm also not surprised somebody modified the exhaust and added mufflers. She a screamer with these flow master outlaws, kind of wonder what it sounded like with only resonators. I was just offering up a possible idea to the OP since B&B wasn't listed with the guesses.
Yep, I hadn't heard "Billy Boat" for decades and never with regard to Vipers (but I was Viper oblivious until 2000 - yes, I read everything in the magazines since 92 and went to see one at a dealership, but when in 2000, when I lucked into "all eggs in one basket" stock market investment money, and was going to splurge on a hot car, I was thinking Ferrari Testa when I saw one at The Coral in Peapack NY - it was about 200' away in the back lot (with all the beaters) and I simply didn't feel like walking there to look at a $200k car. But I did and it was only $79 and it was super clean. Talked to sales and yep, bottom fell out of 12 cyl Ferrari's. So I called a Ferrari work friend and he said yes, you can get a driver for $35k but be warned, it drives like a 4000# car. So that crushed that idea.... Then a Studebaker buddy (I'm really a 70's street racing Paxton supercharged Super Lark guy) said get a Viper. (!) DUH! I knew all about them and it never occurred that now I could buy one! ....sometimes I just don't see what's staring me in the face...

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They eliminated the crossover? Why in the world would they do that?
Yo got me, I see people do ridiculous things to cars all the time. From a packaging standpoint, I can see why they did it. I think it was a lazy way to fit the mufflers, I personally wouldn't have done it that way. The car came with a whole host of modifications that I deemed poor choice. I've since fixed a few things, and this may make the list of changes.

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless the X section is a larger diameter than the rest of the exhaust to offset the reduction in flow, the car is loosing power by necking down the pipe. X-pipes are used for sound.
A correctly executed X Pipe is used to aid exhaust pulse, usually in the form of scavenging. I could nerd out about it, but there are numerous posts on numerous forums that go into great detail about it. The condensed version is a crappy X Pipe is typically better than none, and a well engineered X Pipe will net noticeable results.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll add my tidbit of info: Where to put the X or H pipe: Muffler should be at the very end of the system. Then spray paint or thermal paint on the pipes ahead of the mufflers. Drive the car, hard if you can, and you will find a hot spot where the paint is burned off - that is where you put the crossover. Full passes focus that hot spot.