New gen ii ACR owner - shifter stiff?

serafins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi everyone,

Really excited to join the viper community with my purchase of this 99 GTS ACR. I’m currently trailering it from Florida to my home in Michigan.

You must be registered for see images attach

My question involves the shifter. It is STIFF. Very stiff. Also doesn’t seem to center itself when in neutral. Is this just how they are? Is the shifter rebuildable if not and are new centering springs available?

Thanks in advance

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd describe my shifter as much more mechanical than smooth, but I wouldn't consider it excessively stiff. It does have a positive return to center in neutral.

Can you describe how the shifter is fighting your input? Is it difficult to engage, disengage, or both? Does this happen in every gear or only certain gears? Is it a factory shifter, or did someone install a short throw?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Starting in 1999, Dodge started using Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 75W-85 (made be Castrol) as the "factory fill". It was used through 2006. This fluid is "stiff" when cold. This was a change from the Dexron II-e and Dexron III used in prior years. The change was undertaken to suppress Neutral Gear Rattle.

Before you go too far, I would change the fluid, then reevaluate. While MOPAR no longer supplies this fluid, there are similar fluids out there. You can use a GL-4 lube or go with ATF+4.

Just be sure to AVOID any lube labeled GL-5.

OP
OP
S

serafins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd describe my shifter as much more mechanical than smooth, but I wouldn't consider it excessively stiff. It does have a positive return to center in neutral.

Can you describe how the shifter is fighting your input? Is it difficult to engage, disengage, or both? Does this happen in every gear or only certain gears? Is it a factory shifter, or did someone install a short throw?
I believe it’s a factory shifter, it fights me going left to right. Going into 1-2 is easy, it tends to sit just below 1 when in neutral. Going over to reverse is a workout. It does not like traveling through the neutral gate.

I did have the chance to drive it a bit today and it loosened up a little, maybe it is just crusty from sitting

OP
OP
S

serafins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here’s another question, does anyone have a source for the clutch hydraulic line that goes from the master cylinder to the slave? Is this a dealership order type part because I can’t find it anywhere.

I want to replace mine because the previous owner recently had the master, slave, and clutch replaced and the shop left the line sitting on the headers so it was boiling the fluid.