A couple of questions concerning my new viper

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First is the most annoying aspect of my 2002 rt/10, the brakes squeel like crazy and car only had 4700 miles on it, is this normal? What can I do? My car also seems to shutter or rattle to much over buds in road, is this normal? My exhaust sounds really timid compared to what I thought, whats up with that? Is there anyone in Northern California that would take a ride with me to kind of make sure the car is cool? The viper tech in my city is a a** hole. When I took it in for my oil change he wouldn't talk to me at all about my car. I think he was pist someone my age was driving the car(25 yrs old, people say I look 19 or 20). Anyways any help would be appreciated, thanks.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brake squeal is normal, so is exhaust note....all of which can be rectified.....just get your wallet out again.

OP
OP
V

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot one thing, I am almost always running temps near 225 but always past the third mark at 190 this makes it hotter than all hell in the cabin. Have to run ac even at night.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VB,

Everything You've mentioned sounds pretty normal. The break squeal can be addressed with switching your stock pads over to EBC Green pads. They'll cut down on the squealing and the brake dust. Not good for track use but good enough for the streets. Exhaust note can be improved with high flow cats and an aftermarket catback system.

Where in NorCal you from? You can go to the VCA meetings held every month in San Jose. Listen to various exhaust systems and decide for yourself. Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions.

BTW, we have an excellent Viper Tech in San Jose. Ted May at Valaya Racing is the man to see for your Viper needs.

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot one thing, I am almost always running temps near 225 but always past the third mark at 190 this makes it hotter than all hell in the cabin. Have to run ac even at night.

That's also normal. Should be 190 on the freeway at cruising speeds. 220-225 at low speeds and stop and go traffic is pretty normal for a stock setup. You can help the cooling system run more efficiently by burping the trapped air (look into the how-to section or do a search on the topic for that) and using Water Wetter. There are a few other things you can do such as upgrading your radiator and fan module, but that will run you into some money. Our resident oil expert, Tom, F&L Gor has stated:
You want the oil to run at least 212F to boil off any condensation or moisture from combustion.