A Little Help from Harness Guys

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My first Team Tech harness will be here tomorrow (thanks, Jon B) so I started tearing the interior down in prep for installation. I was loosely following the Gen. II How-To in the Illustrated Upgrades section and though I don't have a GTS, I think I'm pretty familiar with what I've uncovered thus far. I'm 90% certain I know the answer to the next question, but I hope I'm wrong.

Question: Is this where the harness eyebolts should go?

You must be registered for see images

Here is a close-up:

Now you ask yourself "why are they already uncovered, Jason? And why is there rock-hard black silicone in there?" Well, my friends, that is a good question. It looks like one of the previous owners installed...and uninstalled...harnesses already, then filled the void with black silicone that I can't cut with a boxcutter.

Assuming that that is where I'm supposed to somehow manage to thread the eyebolts tomorrow...how the #@%+@ do you suggest I go about that? Any and all recommendations are warmly welcomed.

Additional question: Gen. I 6-point guys, where did you anchor the bottom belts? I saw in the Gen. II thread that they did it on either side in the seatbelt position; do we do the same thing, or go with where the seat bolts down? The seatbelt void on my outer side is also filled with silicone, so that's probably where it goes (Murphy's Law).

Thanks in advance...sorry so wordy...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try chipping the black material out enough to get a thread tap started. I think aggression may be in order here. Of course there's a gas tank somewheres in there...

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the same crap in my car and it never had belts in it. It's not silicone. That's the stuff they use to glue the rear tub to the frame. I used a die grinder to get the stuff out, the welded-in nuts are down there.
I put my 6-points where the seat belt bolts in. The stuff on the bottom should be a tar-like sealer. Softer stuff that comes out easier.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Had the same crap in my car and it never had belts in it. It's not silicone. That's the stuff they use to glue the rear tub to the frame. I used a die grinder to get the stuff out, the welded-in nuts are down there.
I put my 6-points where the seat belt bolts in. The stuff on the bottom should be a tar-like sealer. Softer stuff that comes out easier.

Snakebit, if you recall any more info about the process of getting that crap out, I'd love to hear it.

Dave, you're recommending starting new threads and going with a bigger eyebolt, or am I mistaken?

Are there any shops out there that have done this a few times on a Gen. I and have a tried-and-true method of excavating the black glue?

Thanks again, all...

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. I'm saying to...

-> Chip or die-grind or ??? to the point that you can see some threads by removing the adhesive or putty or whatever it is in the hole. Do not damage the threads during the process if you can help it.

-> Once you can see some of the threads use a thread tap of matching pitch and diameter and chase the factory threads out with this tap. This also requires caution to not cross thread or start a new set of threads.

Probably time consuming but you get what you pay for right?

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No. I'm saying to...

-> Chip or die-grind or ??? to the point that you can see some threads by removing the adhesive or putty or whatever it is in the hole. Do not damage the threads during the process if you can help it.

-> Once you can see some of the threads use a thread tap of matching pitch and diameter and chase the factory threads out with this tap. This also requires caution to not cross thread or start a new set of threads.

Probably time consuming but you get what you pay for right?

GOT IT.

"You get what you pay for?" IS THIS A DIG AT GEN. I'S?! My feelings are hurt, dammit...

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me know if you need any help. I have air tools and a few assorted grinding bits at the house. "if it's not one thing...."

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dave's advice is correct.....that is called an electro-static sealcoat that prevents water entering and corrosion of those holes /threads. It hardens with age....like me I guess! .....

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let me know if you need any help. I have air tools and a few assorted grinding bits at the house. "if it's not one thing...."

I'm game if you are. Only problem is you'd have to come over to the house because the car is in an assortment of pieces all over the garage and it's not drivable right now. Give me a call or shoot me a PM if you'll have a chance to do that in the next day or so; I'd prefer tonight but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks, Justin!

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dave's advice is correct.....that is called an electro-static sealcoat that prevents water entering and corrosion of those holes /threads. It hardens with age....like me I guess! .....

Jon B = Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino? ;)

I guess I had my hopes up from reading the GTS how-to and thought it'd be a couple of torx bolts and smooth sailing. Looks like I'm doing a little extra grinding (and not on the dance floor this time).

Thanks for all the insight, guys...had the car for 2 years and I'm still a freakin' n00b.

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don;t have a tap set. Find out the threading and try to pick one up. We could try to clean out the threads with the tap and lube the threads with some acetone.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try step drilling the material. That is, start with a small diameter bit and work up to a bit size almost the size of the bolts used. then use a tap. You would never want to break a tap in the nut. Go slow.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try my route with the easy out if it doesn't work bring my dremel back and I'll come over with a few blasting caps.

Chris

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will you be around tonight? I need to run by FedEx to grab the harness (no one was home when they stopped by) and it looks like I'll have to grab some tools to make this happen, but after that I should be able to swing by.

You've got my number. Give me a call on the cell. Tomorrow AM may be better at this point to take a look. I can show you exactly where my mounts are and what it looks like when you're ready to put the eye loops in.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright, so it's not as bad as I thought. I got a bolt extractor set and was going to wait to get the thread tap until my harness showed up tomorrow so I could see the bolt size, but no need. I threw a cone-shaped tip on a Dremel and ground down the epoxy/whatever and it's only 1/2" thick or so and didn't get into the threads. I thought I was going to have to remove that crap from the threads, but I guess the substance was thick enough that it just made a layer over top of the bolt hole and didn't drip inside.

Here is a pic of what they look like with the black goo removed, in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future, wondering what to do:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Always be careful when grinding something soft (even hardened electro-static sealcoat) because it will clog the grinding wheel causing it to over-heat and explode. Aluminum is bad about it and that was the first thing that came to mind when I read about using a grinder. Also, use eye protection! I had to go to the hospital to have a piece of wire removed from my eye that came off the wire wheel I was using. Good luck and have fun, but be safe.

OP
OP
J

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Always be careful when grinding something soft (even hardened electro-static sealcoat) because it will clog the grinding wheel causing it to over-heat and explode. Aluminum is bad about it and that was the first thing that came to mind when I read about using a grinder. Also, use eye protection! I had to go to the hospital to have a piece of wire removed from my eye that came off the wire wheel I was using. Good luck and have fun, but be safe.

I think my grinding may be done at this point, unless the lower/outer mounting location is a pain to get to. I'll file that away for future reference; I'm sure depth perception is overrated, especially when piloting one of these anyway ;) <---- get it?