At running temp, car acts like its in neutral, in any gear including reverse

mcwop239

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two years ago, I had the engine fully rebuilt including a new clutch. I got the car back, engine ran great, shifted smoothly, all good...heard grinding from the rear. Pumpkin was bone dry, and the gears were shredded. So I swapped out the diff with a wavetrac and put in new, 3.55 gears.

The car started and ran great for about a mile. I put the car in 5th gear, and pressed the accelerator, no response. I thought I missed the gear and the car was still in neutral. So I went to 4th. No issue... I downshifted to 3rd , then 2nd. Pressed the accelerator, the car accelerated about 5 mph, then total loss of power. The car rolled about 1.5 miles, luckily to a side road. Where I went through every gear, including reverse, the car just revved. But didn't move at all. I shut the car off, and again, didn't matter what gear it was in, the car rolled like it was in neutral.

I had a flatbed take the car back to my house. the next day, I went to rolled the car around the garage and the car works again, all gears. I called the garage that installed the wavetrac and they said the car did the same thing to them, but them specialize in rear ends, not vipers, transmissions, etc...

My brothers.... anyone have an idea what's going on????

Last edited:

Ramtuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pressure plate is probably sticking open when hot or slave is sticking holding it open.