Buying a GTS, question regarding paying for it

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions? I have an ex-gf that lives nearby that I was thinking I could transfer the money into her account and then he could come to the bank with me to get the cash....but I'm not sure if she has a MI bank yet.

You have gotta be kidding....EX girlfriend:omg:...bad move:nono:.
get a cashiers check made out to yourself . when you get there you can cash it if you NEED too. Look at the car yourself and test drive it first. really check your surroundings. be very careful.
good luck

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll be buying a B/W 97 GTS over the next week or two sometime. The car is located in Michigan, and I'm in VA. The problem is that the guy I'm buying it from has no bank account (older guy, only deals with cash). I need to somehow get him the money in cash, but I'm definitely not going to carry around that much money on the plane.

Anybody have any suggestions?....
Yeah, find someone who has a bank account. You've gotta be kidding. You are probably laundering someone's money.

And remember, if it is too good to be true, ....

Affatica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With a large transaction you can bet that the bank will place a hold on the funds until the check clears.

rt/10stew

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is with the bank account thing. I live in Canada and purchased my viper out of LA. I prearranged the wire transfer with my Canadian bank before I flew down to see the car once I saw and drove the car I called my bank and told them to go ahead with the wire transfer, two hours later I was driving back home to Ontario. I can't see anyone not having a bank account.

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Madduc, definitely nothing wrong with accepting cash only....but no bank account. The guy says he has no bank account lol. I guess that's where all the weariness comes from.

I will definitely be careful, and if anything seems fishy when I go look at everything...it would ****, but I would back out no problem.

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, find someone who has a bank account. You've gotta be kidding. You are probably laundering someone's money.

And remember, if it is too good to be true, ....

I'm going to be doing the transaction through an ex gf's bank account that lives 20 minutes away from the where the seller is. She is a trusted good friend, I know her family, etc. There are no issues with her or using her account.

Also - the deal is not a too good to be true kind of thing...as I said, everything aside from the fact that the guy doesn't have a bank account checks out perfectly fine.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe this guy does have an account, but doesn't want just anyone knowing about it in this day of scams and id theft. Sounds like you have all your bases covered. Good luck and hope the car is all you expect. Where in Mi is it??

V

Venomiss

I'm going to be doing the transaction through an ex gf's bank account that lives 20 minutes away from the where the seller is. She is a trusted good friend, I know her family, etc. There are no issues with her or using her account.

Also - the deal is not a too good to be true kind of thing...as I said, everything aside from the fact that the guy doesn't have a bank account checks out perfectly fine.

Since the car is in Michigan ever thought about asking someone from that club to take a look at the car for you beforehand? Just a thought. Making a few phone calls may save you some peace of mind. Here is the website for that club.
MCVO Home

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this thread, and I don't want to sound like a kook or anything, but I recently saw an episode of the documentary show "48 Hours" on A&E and when a victim went to do a "cash only" car purchase originally arranged on craigslist.com the "sellers" murdered him and stole the money. Just sayin'

OP
OP
G

GotA350ZTT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Phoenix - Thanks for the heads up, but I'm meeting him at the bank....so hopefully no crimes in a public place!