Cheap Mobil 1 0w40

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I heard from my sources that Mobil1 is going to start using a group IV base stock again and better additives, so once I hear that has actually happened, then I may give Mobil1 a try again. But in the mean time there is no point to spend the extra money on it.

Again? Mobil using Group III now?

"Better" additives? This always gets to a marketing decision to justify spending more, so how are they going to do that?

Want to hint a little at who your sources are?

OP
OP
N

nedasrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got back from the Walmart "Super Center". It was pretty super I must say...

Any way, they had the 0w40 in qt bottles for $6.27. Did not see the 5 gallon jugs, or a place for them to be. Checked pretty carefully.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wally world is pretty responsive to their customers :eater:

:dunno: i think if every time we went looking for M1 0w40 in the 5qt jugs and didn't find it, if we told the auto dept mgr that we would buy it if they had it, they would (try to) stock it :usa: :headbang: :usa: :rolleyes:

peace

(mardi gras is now over) :crazy2:

Vman455

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Question and Answer section on Mobil's website has a query about 0W-40 in the five quart bottles. Mobil's answer is there are no plans to make the product available in that container size.

Then again, with the sway Walmart holds over its suppliers, if anyone can get it done, it's them.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't find a diesel 10W30. In Florida a 15W-40 will be bulletproof. If you want to stay closer to OEM, look for another 5W-40 that also has European ACEA performance - it's all on the back of the bottle with the API information. There should be many choices.

Amsoil makes a 10w-30 weight diesel oil. FYI

Flash

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You won't find a diesel 10W30. In Florida a 15W-40 will be bulletproof. If you want to stay closer to OEM, look for another 5W-40 that also has European ACEA performance - it's all on the back of the bottle with the API information. There should be many choices.

Would this qualify? I don't see ACEA anywhere?

- ROTELLA 5w-40

The Rotella 15w-40 lists ACEA though:

- ROTELLA 15w-40

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would this qualify? I don't see ACEA anywhere?

- ROTELLA 5w-40

The Rotella 15w-40 lists ACEA though:

- ROTELLA 15w-40

Either would be very good. The ACEA claims are a flag that there are more additives than a regular passenger car oil, and being a diesel engine oil means there are even more additives than an ACEA oil.

I'm not too surprised that the 5W40 doesn't because relative to the 15W40 it's a very low volume product and to get all the claims possible becomes an economic issue. The other problem is that because the base oil is different (mineral vs. synthetic) and the viscosity grade is different, no engine tests passed in one can read-across to justify a pass to the other.

Bottom line - diesel oils have the most additive of anything sold. Additives are good.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either would be very good. The ACEA claims are a flag that there are more additives than a regular passenger car oil, and being a diesel engine oil means there are even more additives than an ACEA oil.

I'm not too surprised that the 5W40 doesn't because relative to the 15W40 it's a very low volume product and to get all the claims possible becomes an economic issue. The other problem is that because the base oil is different (mineral vs. synthetic) and the viscosity grade is different, no engine tests passed in one can read-across to justify a pass to the other.

Bottom line - diesel oils have the most additive of anything sold. Additives are good.

Thank You for sharing your vast knowledge on this subject. I have learned several important facts about oil that I didn't know...:2tu:

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got back from the Walmart "Super Center". It was pretty super I must say...

Any way, they had the 0w40 in qt bottles for $6.27. Did not see the 5 gallon jugs, or a place for them to be. Checked pretty carefully.

I just checked the 5 qt bottles I got was the 0w30.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found source for Mobil 1 0w-40 under $6/quart shipped. 6 quart cases. PM me if interested.

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did not Advance have a special a few times for buying 5 qts and they throw in a filter ... and it was about $5 a qt? I did it a couple times with my '06 over the last couple years and was fairly sure it was under $30 at least.

It is the one that says 0W-40 "European Formula", correct?

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did not Advance have a special a few times for buying 5 qts and they throw in a filter ... and it was about $5 a qt? I did it a couple times with my '06 over the last couple years and was fairly sure it was under $30 at least.

Not sure about Advance.

Yes, it's "European Formula". And the price would actually be around $4.85/qt. shipped since you'd need two cases. Spreads the shipping cost between the two cases. The price is $19.99/6 qt. case plus shipping. Guys near Independence, MO can pick it up in person and save even more $$.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Advance Auto still has the special through March 25th, 5qts of Mobil One + filter for $29.99 but its for "High Mileage" or "Extended Performance" synthetic.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On another note, Walmart just reduced the price of the Quaker State fully synthetic oil in various weights to $18 a 5 qt jug. Thats a heck of a deal if the oil is decent.

Tom, whats the skinny on Quaker State Synthetic?

thanks for all you do for here in Viper land.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On another note, Walmart just reduced the price of the Quaker State fully synthetic oil in various weights to $18 a 5 qt jug. Thats a heck of a deal if the oil is decent.

Tom, whats the skinny on Quaker State Synthetic?

thanks for all you do for here in Viper land.

Menards has Quaker State Synth. 6 qt case for $14.88 after a $9 rebate until 3/1.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on where to get Mobil 1 0w40 for cheap? My walmart does not have it, and I checked online with no luck. Advance Auto wants almost $8 per quart.

Thanks!

I just stopped on the way home from work at Advance Auto near my house and picked up two quarts at what you said, alost $8.00 per quart. Not worth my time driving around to find it cheaper.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, the one that says European Formula is the same oil...no difference

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a guideline:

Engine oil claims............ amount of additive
API SL, SM.................... 1X
ACEA, Euro................... 1.5X
diesel, API CI-4, CJ-4..... 2.0X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members