Gen 2 Subwoofer Replacement

DoitNXS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,
Has anyone been successful in finding a replacement 6.5" subwoofer for a 2001 RT? After mine disintegrated, I needed to replace it and was very surprised at how hard it was to find a shallow 4ohm subwoofer in 2024.
I'm sure everyone who has already looked into this or even made the mistake of blindly pre-purchasing a subwoofer before pulling the old one out and looking at the space you have to work with quickly realized that real estate behind that console is VERY limited, and there are not that many subwoofers that would fit in there without having to use 1/2"+ spacers. I want to keep this looking as stock as I can.
I've seen older posts from over ten years ago recommending a JL Audio 6W0, but that part has since been discontinued. I was, however, able to find a no-name speaker that fit, but it was only available in 8ohm, so it sounds like it's behind a wet diaper when using the stock amplifier. I'm not looking to redo the entire system or drop 2k on a sound system. In fact, the only significant update I did was install the Pioneer flip screen so I could have a nav, and that's it. Thank god for the custom wiring harness. I found that made it easy, too, because no one wanted to install the stereo for less than 2k because they said I would need to update the entire system... bullsht.
I digress. Can someone recommend a place where I can find the proper size and Ohm subwoofer for a Gen 2 RT?
Thank you all in advance for any help. Rock on.

Attachments

• After Ceramic 1.jpg
    After Ceramic 1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 3

Jim Myke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car tunes replaced mine a few years ago in a 98 RT/10

Attachments

• 20240821_151252.jpg
    20240821_151252.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 5

ViperFan1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through this on my 99 RT10. I did Kicker 46CSC654 CS-Series CSC65 6.5-Inch speakers in the fronts and tried Nolan Motorsports advice off his YT channel about using the Goldwood Sound GW-206/8 OEM 6.5" Woofer, and I compared it to the Skar Audio EVL-65 D4 6.5" 400 Watt Max , both FS on amazon. I like the Skar a bit more, but due to the limited space I had to get some spacers, also off amazon, 6.5-inch Subwoofer Speaker ABS Spacers for Auto Car, 14mm Depth, 2Pcs. At first I was conflicted on it sticking out, but I'm the only one who notices and I appreciate the bigger thump than without.

I will say this, I met a local Viper rt10 owner and he spent $2500 on a JL Audio door speakers, amp, sub and sub in the trunk and there is not a $2k+ difference in the sound. His music is crisper inside but still not that much bass. That being said, his exhaust has much more drone than mine and the sound setup feels not worth it to me. I spent all of $150 maybe total.
Attached what mine looks like.

Attachments

• tempImage6WttdD.png
    tempImage6WttdD.png
    620.1 KB · Views: 7