Gen II Daytime Running Light Activation

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This info will be helpful in the future for someone that wants to import a US-spec car into Canada.

I just picked up a Gen II GTS and, similar to my Gen I, I want to activate the Daytime Running Light function. Since I had a spare Gen I DRL module, I plugged it in the DRL port on my new Gen II. It does physically match the Gen II plug, and it plugged right in. However, it did not work, even if I moved the car.

I have reviewed the schematics in my '95 and '00 Service Manuals, I see the Gen I and Gen II modules have different inputs. The Gen I DRL module gets an additional signal from the vehicle speed sensor to tell it to activate. That signal is not supplied via the harness in the Gen II. Therefore, I do need a different DRL module, Mopar part number 04672271 (Dorman part number 704-303). The 04672271 module was used in a variety of mid-late '90s Neons/Caravans/Spirits/Acclaims/Voyagers/Sundances/etc. Both the Mopar part and the Dorman part are long discontinued. I have scoured Ebay and Amazon, and auto wrecker on-line sites do not support a search for DRL modules. I have contacted a Canadian wrecker yard and have not heard back.

Anyone have a lead on a 0467221 DRL module, especially my Canadian friends? (I will be with the Ontario Viper Club members in Windsor/Detroit this weekend in case anyone who is coming wants to sell one.)
I will also post in Classifieds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much like my personal experience activating DRLs on Gen 1s, it is as easy as removing the "jumper" plug on the existing underhood harness and plugging in the proper module, then (on Gen IIs) screwing it down on pre-existing holes on the aluminum crossmember across the front of the engine compartment. There is no "reprogramming" of anything on the vehicle to get them to function. If you look, you will find the plug near the end of the aluminum crossmember at the right front corner of the engine compartment, along the harness in that area. Unfortunately, while the modules are the same physically from Gen I to Gen II, they are not electrically the same. The Gen I modules are readily available; the Gen IIs are much more difficult to find. The Gen I wiring harness supplies an additional signal from the vehicle speed sensor to the module to activate it upon the vehicle moving; the Gen II module seems to activate as soon as the key is in "on," from what I can see from the schematic in the service manual. There is no wire/path from the VSS on Gen IIs to activate the Gen I module, so it will not function.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WARPFOUR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Left a voicemail at Scharf Auto. I will probably try Jones Auto tomorrow. They might be dealing with some heavy weather at the moment. Thanks for the info.