Gen 2 vs. Gen 5 GTS

Chamberlen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know I know, by the end of reading this your going to say get whatever you prefer, but I'm trying to find out which type of Viper to purchase. I'm deciding between a gen 2 (2001/2002 only) and gen 5 GTS. If I go with the gen 2 then hopefully I can find a GTS ACR but I'm not stuck to an ACR, I can do a gen 2 GTS. The issues I'm having in deciding....

I love the gen 2 Viper, it was my dream car growing up as a child and it would be a nice addition to the garage having an old school Viper. My fear is all the headaches that come with owning a gen 2. It's the maintenance that also has me worried. My enjoyment of having a gen 2 would be modifying certain parts of the car such as exhaust, headers, smooth tubes, etc. But to be clear I'd like to do tasteful mods, nothing extreme like adding 1000hp or that crazy stuff that some enthusiasts enjoy. I know what you all are thinking...if I like modifying the car then fixing it would be part of that process. Well what I'm referring to is the headache of dealing with the wear and tear of the car rising up at random times. I've heard of paint melting off due to the extreme heat of the engine. The doors not closing and latching properly. I can go on but I'm sure all of you know the issues I'm referring to.

That brings me to why a gen 5 is slowly catching my eye. The gen 5 is truly one of the greatest sports cars ever made. The achievements the car has accomplished are incredible. It's also newer, under warranty, all issues in previous generations are fixed, safer, etc. etc. (this is vs. past Viper models)

If owners can share their insight of the gen 2 vs. gen 5 that would be much appreciated. I would also love to have any recommended PP Inspectors website or contact if you got them. Do you guys even recommend a PPI?

Thank you all

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe you've already answered your own question, but it really comes down to what you like and want from driving and ownership experience. Both a great cars, but you're comparing a very kit car-ish old school hand built Viper to a lot more modern and refined car. Even the differences between the Gen 2 and Gen 4 (and 3) are night and day in those regards and the Gen 5 is an even more dramatic step up in every way.

Have you driven both?

BoondocSaint

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like money isn't the issue, so comes down to what you want out of the experience. If refinement is the higher priority, you know which generation gets you there. If nostalgia is higher on the pecking order, there is a clear winner to me between the two choices. Both will offer a unique and thrilling drive, both will hold their value respectively, both will be a rare sighting in the wild.

Gen 2 GTS was a love at first sight for me, and love ain't rational. If it matters at all, the Gen 2 GTS comes with a historic race pedigree. I personally enjoy that connection to GT racing.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When they Modeled the Gen V they modeled it after the Gen II. Cant go wrong on either. I think you are fearing the Gen II more than you need to as far as repairs etc. Just make sure if you get a Gen II its a clean example.

I love the Gen II, I think its the sweet spot of all Vipers but I am obviously Bias.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point, parts and maintenance issues will hit the Gen 5 more than any other due to lower production numbers and more complex systems. That said, they are the pinnacle of the breed as far as a complete modern package.