Leaking valve cover gasket, even after replaced?

kmagnuss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. I noticed my driver's side valve cover gasket was leaking (could smell the oil cooking at stoplights, oil residue on top of header, oil pooled in spark plug well) and changed it out with a new Fel Pro gasket. Still leaking at the same spot. I also changed the o-ring in the oil cap and checked the oil cooler and power steering lines... no leaks there. I can wipe down that corner of the valve cover, let it run for 5 minutes, and it's wet with oil again just on the seam there.
Is there a thicker gasket I should try? Or coat it with a thin coat of rtv on the gasket channel? Or Maybe I have a warped valve cover? Easy enough to check the warped cover, I guess.
Or maybe I'm getting a ton of pressure that isn't getting out of the crankcase vent/pcv valve dealio? I'll try putting my hand over the oil fill cap once the engine is cool again.

Thanks.
-Mag

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar issue a few months ago - same side. Turns out it was a bolt hole at the lower rear corner hat had some crud in it and the bolt wasn't torquing correctly.

Pull the valve cover again and check it for any warpage. Remove the gasket, wipe it good and dry, then wipe the head mating surface clean and dry. Reinstall and pull everything down as uniformly as possible, but don't over torque.

What year model?

Old School

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those O-ring style gaskets are pretty good, I've had my valve cover off at least a half dozen times reusing the same gaskets.

Sounds like maybe a crack developed in that area.

OP
OP
K

kmagnuss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have it figured out. I started looking around again this am and got a camera in there and saw that there was about a 1" long sliver of the new gasket hanging out of the valve cover. Took it apart and it looks like I cut it while installing it. Smart. Put a new one on and so far so good.

Thanks for the tips guys.
-Mag

OP
OP
K

kmagnuss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must have had some residual oil on there because it's dry now after two 30 mile trips. I still smell a little oil cooking but maybe there's some residual oil cooking off deep in there that I can't see. Will monitor and check back in if something changes.

DGK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pinched gaskets in the back corners are common on pretty much anything using an o-ring style seal. At the dealer I would put a tiny dot of super glue on the one back corner that was notorious for getting pinched on the N52 engine. Be careful because one tech caught an X5 on fire because so much oil leaked out of the corner and onto the exhaust manifold during a road test. FWIW I never saw a warped valve cover that wasn't plastic.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must not be very old. I've see a number of stamped seel VCs on cork gaskets that were warped out of plane, or cast covers that were overtorqued and cracked.

Reactions: DGK

DGK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must not be very old. I've see a number of stamped seel VCs on cork gaskets that were warped out of plane, or cast covers that were overtorqued and cracked.
Im not sure what my age has to do with it lol.
I was just sharing my experience in an effort to help. I’m glad the attitudes on forums haven't changed! As warm and fuzzy as ever.