New Belanger Install and O2 faults

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had a full Belanger exhaust installed on my 2005 vert and we are now seeing O2 sensor faults throwing a CEL. Faults are O2 sensor high voltage on BOTH left and right rear O2 sensors. We are talking with Lou Belanger's tuner in the morning, but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this and possable fix.

Thanks...

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Give the new system time to burn in ,then see if the code returns. (500mi) Make sure the rear o2 wires are run out of the sill as soon as possible. I had the same codes on mine, i replace the rear oem sensors with the Bosch brand and so far no more cel's.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 06 with similar exhaust, I bought 02 sims from Sean Roe and never have had a problem. John

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent this thread to my service manager as well...but are people seeing that installing the Bosch wideband o2's in the back are fixing this problem? Also....I have a new MAP coming from ROE...if I have them turn off the back o2 sensors...will that flag my smog tests as invalid, or is that even a good idea at this point?

Thanks for all the help....

Rich

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one CEL with my Bellangers and it turned out to be a burnt wire which killed my O2 Sensor as well. We put in new Sensor, new O2 Sensor wiring (complete wires) and rerouted the wires away from the heat, wrapped the wires in heat shield. 3000 miles and no problems since. No need to be unplugging wires and putting band aids on the real problem, but then again I am not going to question the Wizard. :)

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wires for your rear O2's I think you'll find that they are melted. If so, new O2's, install a plug in the bungs, plug in the o2's and hang/tie them underneath. If you re-map your SCT you wont pass your smog test.

http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-review-tators-garage/

The wizard is wise. I bet melted wires too. I can vouch for the method Chuck suggested. Plug the holes and hang the 2 rear O2 sensors under the car and let them snife the freash air and no CEL. Ive done it on two Gen 3's now and logged 8k miles between them with no CEL:2tu:

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a different issue, but after I installed my full Belanger exhaust on my '08 I would have the CEL come with O2 sensor codes. After some trial and error, it seemed like I could reliably get the CEL to kick back on with lots of highway driving in 6th gear at low RPM. So a change to a little more aggressive driving (to keep the rear sensors in temperature range I assume) and not using 6th gear quite so much seems to have resolved the problem without making the change to the Mopar computer. Again, this was on a Gen IV car so it may have been a different issue all together.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
6th gear? My GTS hasn't seen 6th gear in about 6 months! It was only cruising with the Austin bunch and ripping through the Hill Country that prompted 6th.

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spoke to my service manager and he said they checked the routing of the rear wires and all looked OK. No melted wires or wires on the exhaust tubes. Belanger had them check the connections again and they found on both sides that the connectors were not completely seated and needed to use channel locks to seat. Belanger said some of the extension cables were tight. They took the car out and no CEL. They will run the car again Monday to see if all still is OK, then we hope that was the fix. Belanger also recommended that the O2 sensors be changed out when installing the new system. We didn't do this, but didn't sound like both rear sensors would have failed at the same time.

If we have the same issues Monday, we will get another extension cable and change out the sensors.

Thanks again for all the help on this....

More after Mondays ride. Rich

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a different issue, but after I installed my full Belanger exhaust on my '08 I would have the CEL come with O2 sensor codes. After some trial and error, it seemed like I could reliably get the CEL to kick back on with lots of highway driving in 6th gear at low RPM. So a change to a little more aggressive driving (to keep the rear sensors in temperature range I assume) and not using 6th gear quite so much seems to have resolved the problem without making the change to the Mopar computer. Again, this was on a Gen IV car so it may have been a different issue all together.

Yes different issue but I have a fix for that too! Go to your NAPA store and get #730-2443 package of two "spark plug non-foulers". You'll need to drill them out a little to fit your O2's in them, then re-install. This will take care of the CEL for driving at low RPM's with hi-flow cats! :cool:

http://forums.viperclub.org/vendor-r...tators-garage/

OP
OP
rhallman

rhallman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the car back today with no errors...Looks like completely seating the rear connectors on both o2 extensions fixed the problem. Thanks again for all the help on the forum.

Rich

XTREMDRM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in case, write down what the Wizard said, "they" may return. :realsad:
I did as he sugessted and for short money, my problem was gone.
The Wizard is all genious....trust his advise....thanks Chuck for the "right on" help....:2tu:....:hail: