No Quality Control on New Vipers

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, no wonder their going out of business. No quality control. I buy a new 2009 Viper today and when I get home I find 3 small stains on the hood (hopefully just in the clear coat otherwise I will demand a new hood-no re paints on a brand new car). Then while cleaning out the brake dust on the wheels just now I see where someone took sand paper or something and has scratched a large area inside the wheel. Bottom line: if you are planning on buying a new Viper, look it over with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you buy it. I am soooo glad I did not buy the car from a dealer outside my area to get all this fixed. My 99 was perfect. Guess the factory guys are all ********** with their pay cuts.:nono:

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't detailed correctly, have you tried to wash/wax it out. You could also try some clay. The problem I have seen with all the polished wheels, is that everything scratches them, but you can buff it out.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, no wonder their going out of business. No quality control. I buy a new 2009 Viper today and when I get home I find 3 small stains on the hood (hopefully just in the clear coat otherwise I will demand a new hood-no re paints on a brand new car). Then while cleaning out the brake dust on the wheels just now I see where someone took sand paper or something and has scratched a large area inside the wheel. Bottom line: if you are planning on buying a new Viper, look it over with a fine tooth comb BEFORE you buy it. I am soooo glad I did not buy the car from a dealer outside my area to get all this fixed. My 99 was perfect. Guess the factory guys are all ********** with their pay cuts.:nono:
Were these problems FACTORY RELATED or DEALER RELATED.

Reaction score
Sounds like a dealer issue to me. We go over each car and anything that is not perfect when we check them in gets noted and fixed. On the other hand all these could be explained by the storage at the dealer. None of our cars sit outside or are where people can get around them. We keep them under lock and alarm till you ask for it. ;-)

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't detailed correctly, have you tried to wash/wax it out. You could also try some clay. The problem I have seen with all the polished wheels, is that everything scratches them, but you can buff it out.
I dont have any clay right now but dealer is looking at it on Monday. The wheel is severly scratched on the INSIDE. Spokes are fine.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
EXACTLY, i would venture to say any issues happened AFTER the car was delivered from the factory.TOO many people have access to Vipers in alot of these dealerships.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember reading a thread on here last year where a new ACR owner found a big paint flaw on the facia I believe, after unloading his new car from the delivery truck at his house.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure on that one and will never know.

There is no question that it's dealer related. Even if the car had problems from the factory, it should have been corrected before it hit the showroom. Simply put, th edealer should have fixed it prior to you getting the car, period.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iam sure it can happen . Over the years (since the Vipers are hand built )its interesting to see the certain neuances from car to car .My next will be my fifth Viper(every Gen ) and they really have come a long way .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a dealer issue to me. We go over each car and anything that is not perfect when we check them in gets noted and fixed. On the other hand all these could be explained by the storage at the dealer. None of our cars sit outside or are where people can get around them. We keep them under lock and alarm till you ask for it. ;-)
You know it was .Last month for example I passed by dealership here in NJ that may sell one Viper per two years and the guy had a new 08 left outside FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH RAIN ,SNOW ,KIDS WITH BICYCLES ect

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost every car suffers from the dealer prep. Very few dealers have qualified staff washing/waxing/prepping cars.

Over the summer I had my new SL65 at the benz dealer, and they called me to come check out a new SLR that was delivered the previous nite. I arrived a little early walked to the back and I see the lot boy washing the wheels and using the same brush for the body:nono:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know it was .Last month for example I passed by dealership here in NJ that may sell one Viper per two years and the guy had a new 08 left outside FOR THE ENTIRE MONTH RAIN ,SNOW ,KIDS WITH BICYCLES ect
Ps small dealership ,cant move the car (floorplanning it forever )not used to dealing with such an expensive DODGE or the customer of a 100,000.00 DODGE.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost every car suffers from the dealer prep. Very few dealers have qualified staff washing/waxing/prepping cars.

Over the summer I had my new SL65 at the benz dealer, and they called me to come check out a new SLR that was delivered the previous nite. I arrived a little early walked to the back and I see the lot boy washing the wheels and using the same brush for the body:nono:
A buddy of mine (DOUG WELLS )is the GM at Catena i know what they go thru up there.There are so many variables (people that have access to these cars that really should not )that iam suprised it does not happen more often.How mant times have you been in a showroom and a women is there with her kinds and allows the kids to climb over and threw a new car like its a junglegym .?

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (DOUG WELLS )is the GM at Catena i know what they go thru up there.There are so many variables (people that have access to these cars that really should not )that iam suprised it does not happen more often.How mant times have you been in a showroom and a women is there with her kinds and allows the kids to climb over and threw a new car like its a junglegym .?

Good ole Ray Catena, I have bought many a car from his stores.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Flaws upon Delivery???

MARK, Buddy! That's a pretty inflamatory headline vs CAAP ya used there. 27 views and 20 replies!!! And your lead sentence is 'no wonder____" ?!?! YIKES !!!!

The final inspection at CAAP is fanatical. And VIPER historically has had the LOWEST rate of finish-fit-warranty claims in Chrysler's fleet.

A bird-poop at Reliable anytime during delivery or transfer could have caused #1 (Ironic, .... #2 caused # 1!!) Or on a test-drive.

A mis-handled tie-down could have caused #2.

Either way, I BET YOUR DEALER HANDLES IT. Hood blem must be SMALL cause your trained Snake-Eye did not even notice it at the showroom?!

May I respectfully request you ADVANCED EDIT your subject-topic line? Otherwise it will live-on for years AS IS! Misleading many. In my years here this is only the 3rd time Ive suggested a 'self-censorship'. Thanks for reconsidering.

Last edited:

Blazeone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your cars issues. When I took delivery of my '08. They told me they would take it back to make ready and detail it. I told them that I would take it just as it was and to not touch it. They had no problem with my request and understood.

I took it home removed all of the stickers and plastic and detailed it myself. The paint is perfect with no scratches or swirls.

The paint quality itself is very high compared to the multiple vettes I've owned including an '08 Z06.
Get the blemishes fixed by a pro and detail it yourself.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Flaws upon Delivery???

MARK, Buddy! That's a pretty inflamatory headline vs CAAP ya used there. The final inspection at CAAP is fanatical. And VIPEr historically has had the LOWEST rate of finish-fit-warranty claims in Chrysler's fleet.

A bird-poop at Reliable anytime during delivery or transfer could have caused #1 (Ironic, .... #2 caused # 1!!) Or on a test-drive.

A mis-handled tie-down could have caused #2.

Either way, I BET YOUR DEALER HANDLES IT......it must be SMALL casue you did not even notice it at the showroom? May I respectfully request you ADVACED EDIT your headline? In my years here this is only the 3rd time Ive suggested a 'self-censor'. Thanks for reconsidering
Jon, when you pay this kind of money for a car it should be perfect. And I know the dealer will handle it as they are TOP NOTCH. Comparing the Viper finish to the rest of Chryslers fleet is not much of a comparo IMO. The showroom lighting is unlike inspecting it in the sun light too.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i know what you guys meen when i baught my car it was nice out so it had the top down but when i got home i went to roll up the windows and they forgot to put windows in my car i couldnt beleive it!!!!!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ole Ray Catena, I have bought many a car from his stores.
Depreciation like no other.The market is so bad right now that last week they called another friend of mine (big time repeat customer )and offered him a new SL63 for the weekend to test drive with no obligation to buy.The car (as you know )stickered in the mid 130s

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My personal opinion (doesn't mean much admittedly) is that if the problem was from the factory and it isn't something that will drive you crazy every day, leave it. If it was from the dealer screwing something up, make them fix it. The reason behind this (and believe me, there are lots of little flaws on my '97 B/W GTS that I've learned to live with) is that sometimes the factory flaws are just a nature of the beast and can actually ADD to value later on. I was at a Barret Jackson a while back, and there was a sweet-ass Corvette split-window on the block that actually went for more than I would have thought because it was factory 'original'. The guys advising the buyer pointed out a few things that were typical flaws from the factory that would have typically been re-done if it were restored - and these things were flaws that I would have expected to only see on a kit car... Long story short, some of the messy epoxy, paint sags, ridiculous weld spatter, and bad interior fitment are now things that I just feel add character to the car.

But, if the dealer left it outside and allowed birds to **** on it, or were 'prepping' the wheels for re-balancing by using 60-grit sandpaper, well, I'd have a fit...

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know what you guys meen when i baught my car it was nice out so it had the top down but when i got home i went to roll up the windows and they forgot to put windows in my car i couldnt beleive it!!!!!
NO, the CAAP could not of done that. Or could they? Their fanatical.

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the end of the day, you still have an amazing looking viper. But, I know how you feel, when my ACR was delivered, I found a big chip on the mirror under the clearbra. I know it was not from CAAP,nor woodhouse, I called Mark J and he said send it back and he will take care of it. That was back in October, but I am too lazy to take the mirror off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skammy