Problem with my new 02 rt/10 WHY???????

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Received my car yesterday so took to have oil changed today and the tech said I was missing the transmission cover that spans over the driveline as well. He said it plays a big part in the structual integrity of the car as well. Anyone know what part I am talking about and why it would be removed and not put back on?

Also can anyone tell me what the normal operating temperature for an 02 is?

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I doubt it came out of the plant like that, so makes you wonder where the car has been the last two years...yes you want that part on the car. The temperature should run around the 190 plus mark..it looks like its running hot...just should not be beyond the three center marks. If you hear the fans coming on, everything is okay.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is the floor console plate, part #4642876. It could be missing for any number of reasons.

Your normal driving temp should be anywhere around the 3 tick marks at 12 o'clock.

kickinasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and btw..the part is basically a heavy piece of sheet metal like a plate, that bolts into the right and left frame rails of the car under the transmission. if you look you will see like 8 or so bolt holes on each side. I am sure you can purchase this part, but if you bought the car new..the dealer owes you the part and bolts and should install it too.

OP
OP
V

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it going to hurt me at all to drive for a couple of days without it?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It should not hurt, but call Larry Macedo, he has a couple of custom trans covers with "Viper" cut into the bottom that look awesome! 407-246-6511.

OP
OP
V

viperbound

Enthusiast
Reaction score
car is actually running at the mark right before orange area or right past the third mark at 190 so I am guessing its running between 200-225 degrees. Do I need to worry?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine runs up there some times, but the fan comes on and cools it down just the way it was designed to. It should be ok.